Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics

Hello, I was placed 10mg of Zoloft for Post Postpartum depression.

Customer Question

I was placed 10mg of Zoloft for Post Postpartum depression. I also take two 10mg tablets for ADHD, one in the morning, and one mid-afternoon. The Zoloft killed my sex drive. My doctor prescribed a 10mg dose of Wellbrutin to help alleviate the symptoms of the Zoloft. The Wellbutrin helped my ADHD, but did nothing for the sexual side effects of the Zoloft. My doctor took me off of the Zoloft and placed me on 10mg of Viibryd. Initally, I felt much better; however, this is the second week and I feel extremely "brain-fogged". I have also had a fever and headaches. I thought I had the flu. I have also been extremely tired. I want to get off the Viibryd. I cannot speak with my doctor's office until Monday. I am a graduate student. I have a thesis to prepare, that is not going to wait. I also have loads of make up work to complete this weekend due to being out sick for most of the week. If I stop taking the Viibryd, will the side effects stop immediately? Will I have withdrawal? Please advise.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 4 years ago.

I can understand your situation but abruptly stopping Viibyrd may result in withdrawal symptoms. Viibryd causes sedation and may be this symptom "brain-fogged" is because of sedative nature of Viibryd. If you are taking it in morning, taking it at night time may help.

You have also mentioned that you are having headache, fever which itself may cause symptoms such as lethargy, poor concentration tiredness.

In my view, there can be two possible options in your case -

First is to consult another GP (not your psychiatrist who is not available) and take some medicines for controlling fever and headaches which should be very helpful in controlling your current symptoms.

Second, instead of abruptly stopping Viibryd, one possible option could be to reduce the dose of Viibryd to half and see the effect. Reducing the dose may help in minimizing the side effect.

Best of luck for your thesis viva and exams. Please feel free to ask any related query.

Kind regards

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Would taking the Zoloft instead of the Viibryd help?
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 4 years ago.

It may but Zoloft may again cause sexual side effect which you want to avoid.

It is claimed the Viibryd does not cause sexual side effects and weight gain so in my view, if you are able to tolerate Viibryd, you may wait for 2-3 weeks before deciding to replace it with some other medicine.

Wellbutrin and Remeron (Mirtazapine) are two antidepressants which usually does not cause sexual side effects.

If you decide to try Zoloft again, adding Mirtazapine may help in counteracting the sexual side effects of Zoloft as seen by us in our clinical practice.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank You!!!!!!! You were a big help!! Maybe I will be able to get some studying done after all!
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 4 years ago.
You are most welcome. Thanks for coming to JA.

Once again wishing you best of luck for your future exam.

Kind regards