Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

I am having some extreme problems with vaginismus. I cannot

Customer Question

I am having some extreme problems with vaginismus. I cannot seem to figure out if it is a physical problem because I also have genital herpes, or a psychological issue because I was molested by my father (no intercourse was involved, but the last incident was 3 years ago). I know you can't answer everything online, but I am in a horrible space with this at the moment!
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Kaushik :

i there,

Dr. Kaushik :

Welcome to Just answer !

Dr. Kaushik :

Well, i agree with you that the reason of your vaginismus can be physical such as genital herpes infection or psychological such as emotional traumatic life experience and abuse at the hands of father or both.

Dr. Kaushik :

But , first of all i would liek to know since how long have you been having this problem>?

Dr. Kaushik :

is there a sense of fear pertaining to sex which preceeds penetration making you extremely stressed out ?

Dr. Kaushik :

I will get back to you once you reply to the above asked queries..

Dr. Kaushik :

Regards..

Expert:  Bill replied 2 years ago.
Hello- Thank you for asking the question. I have over 30 years of experience working with individuals, couples and families & am happy to reply.

I am very sorry to hear about the horror you must have experienced as a result of having been sexually abused by by your father and want to offer some concrete information and assistance that will help you understand this in greater detail and get the assistance you need to have proper treatment.

First, here is a link that explains what I believe you are talking about- This is what we refer to as Vaginismus of a secondary type:

http://weareallsurvivors.wordpress.com/2010/06/09/vaginismus/

This is often the resulting issue in sexual trauma and as you see, getting psychotherapy and later, group therapy is typically the recommended course for persons who have endured the trauma you have experienced.

One of the most important things you do is to reach out to trauma survivors counselors rape crisis services in your area. These professionals will assist you in getting directed to the proper help.

If you need help identifying resources, please feel free to respond with your ZIP CODE and I will be happy to assist you.

I also attach an informational link on dealing with PTSD and Psychological Trauma from Harvard Medical Press:

http://helpguide.org/topics/ptsd_trauma.htm

This is something that you can be helped with and there are many resources to help you.

I look forward hearing from you. Until the,

My best, Bill

I have asked you some relevant questions so that i can evaluate your condition and then give you the best possible advise on the problem and how to deal with it.

So, kindly look at my queries and answer them so that we can go ahead with the conversation.

Regards..

Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience: MD Psychiatry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Doctor, I apologize, but I only got the "form" you sent me. I do not see the questions anywhere. Can you please send me another message if it is not too inconvenient? Sorry for the difficulty, and thank you!

My questions are as below..

1) Since how long have you been having this problem ? was it precipitated by something or was it precipitated on its own?

2) is there a sense of fear pertaining to sex which preceeds penetration making you extremely stressed out ?

3) is vaginismus restricted to sex or does self stimulation or use of tampons also cause it ?

I am asking you these queries to confirm whether this vaginismus is primary or secondary and whether it is physical or psychological in basis which will guide us to a solution of this problem.

I shall be waiting for your reply..

Regards..