Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.

I struggle with managing anger and I often feel tired, blue,

Customer Question

I struggle with managing anger and I often feel tired, blue, etc. I can cope with anger through self harm only. I can't seem to make up my mind or I end up changing my mind quite frequently. I'm not sure what is causing all this.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 4 years ago.
Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Dear friend,

It seems that you are suffering from depression, perhaps unipolar depression, perhaps bipolar depression, perhaps even the depressive side of Borderline Personality Disorder (where one of the symptoms is self-harm, often through cutting).

If you would like more commentary on what is going on, it would be most helpful to know what the stressors are in your life, and if you were abused or abandoned when you were young, or any other relevant information.

Warm regards,

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Can I give you more information for a more specific answer, please?
Please do. I am ready to help you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I haven't been abused or abandoned when I was a child.
I've actually heard of BPD and Bipolar disorder.I did some research myself but they said self diagnosis isn't good.
I can't cope with anger very well. Little things disturb me and I'm afraid of embarrassment and humiliation. Sorry, this is going off tangent but I feel like I also have excess anxiety over social things. But I can deal with a few things in public.

I'm often very tired; I sleep before 11:00 or 10:00PM and wake up at 6. I never feel refreshed. But when I do wake up, I feel terrible. I feel as if I've been wasting time and I feel guilty.

I've started self harming last year. I've been going through ups and downs.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I thought I might add I have poor self image. I'm sure many people know this. I'm horrified of weight gain and I try not to eat. But I'm still healthy. I'm not underweight. I just don't want to gain, that is all. And I've struggled to find peace and happiness for a very, very long time.

Dear friend,

It sounds as if you may have Social Phobia, an anxiety disorder, and are also suffering from depressions, which is making you feel angry, tired, and guilty, and you are trying to deal with the pain of this depression by hurting yourself.

I strongly urge you to find a professional and experienced clinical psychologist or other therapist, to properly assess you and begin talk therapy. You could go to a psychiatrist, but the chances are that you will get less psychotherapy (talk therapy) and more drugs.

You need to get to the root causes of your depression and anxiety and not just treat the symptoms with drugs. I strongly urge you to find an intelligent therapist whom you trust and with whom you feel a good empathetic connection. as soon as possible - because you have been hurting yourself.

Warm regards,

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'll try...
thank you..
Dear friend,

I'm glad that you will be trying (YOUR BEST) to get much needed face-to-face help.

Thank you for your kind words and your generosity. I wish you great success, which you will achieve, with a little help from the right professional.

Warm regards,

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC