Bill
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience:  35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's
48585111

Is sertarline suitable for exam. Stress in student 21 yea

Is sertarline suitable for exam. Stress in student 21 years
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Bill replied 2 years ago.

Bill :

Hello- Thank you for asking the question. I have over 30 years of experience working with individuals, couples and families & am happy to reply.

Bill :

This is an SSRI medication that has a black box warning for those under 24 as follows:

Bill :

Suicidality and Antidepressant Drugs

Antidepressants increased the risk compared to placebo of suicidal thinking and behavior (suicidality) in children, adolescents, and young adults in short-term studies of major depressive disorder (MDD) and other psychiatric disorders. Anyone considering the use of Sertraline tablets or any other antidepressant in a child, adolescent, or young adult must balance this risk with the clinical need. Short-term studies did not show an increase in the risk of suicidality with antidepressants compared to placebo in adults beyond age 24; there was a reduction in risk with antidepressants compared to placebo in adults aged 65 and older

Bill :

This is a medication that is prescribed for the treatment of depression and requires approximately 2 weeks for complete plasma concentration as follows:
" In man, following oral once-daily dosing over the range of 50 to 200 mg for 14 days, mean peak plasma concentrations (Cmax) of Sertraline occurred between 4.5 to 8.4 hours post-dosing. The average terminal elimination half-life of plasma Sertraline is about 26 hours. Based on this pharmacokinetic parameter, steady-state Sertraline plasma levels should be achieved after approximately one week of once-daily dosing. "

Bill :

source for further information:

Bill :

Therefore based on science- this would not be a good choice to alleviate stress in an examination.

Bill :

One may consider consulting a doctor for a more suitable substitute such as a Benzodiazapine class of medication. Again, this after careful consultation and consideration with your Doctor.

Bill :

I trust that this has helped and served to answer your question.

Bill :

I wish you the very best-

Bill :

Bill

Bill :

PLEASE CLICK GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON SO THAT I RECEIVE CREDIT FOR MY TIME

I ALSO APPRECIATE POSITIVE FEEDBACK

Have the best possible day!

Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience: 35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's
Expert:  Bill replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.