Penny Rayas, MFT
Penny Rayas, MFT, Therapist
Experience:  I have 20 years experience in the mental health field
59700337

I suffer from Temporal Lobe Epilepsy and Depression, I get

I suffer from Temporal Lobe Epilepsy and Depression, I get bouts of being emotionally confused about how I feel, the only thing I know is that it feels very unpleasant and scary, what shall I do?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Penny Rayas, MFT replied 2 years ago.
Hello there and thanks for asking JA. I will be very happy to help you. I am sorry about your problems with Epilepsy and depression. I would like a bit more information. When were you diagnosed with Epilepsy? Does the treatment work well for you or do you still have symptoms? Tell me a bit about your depression and confussion. What is your confusion about?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was diagnosed 2 years back, I still have de ja vu and absence seizures daily but less than before, it comes as sudden attacks of feeling sad without a reason lasting for 1 to 2 hours. I feel confused coz I don't know how to describe my feeling, but I feel like my body is not ny own & I have 2 leave it somehow
I am sorry about your trouble with the seizures. They sounds terrible. Are you seeing a neurologist? My feeling is that you seizure medication is not controlling your seizures. As for your depression

Mood and personality are affected by many factors. Certain kinds of seizure disorders that originate in the temporal lobe of the brain, for instance) appear to affect mood and behavior during an actual seizure episode, and even an aura may change your behavior patterns. But seizures (and auras) are intermittent events and it is not clear how epilepsy affects general personality traits. Some physicians used to refer to the "epileptic personality," implying that all people with seizures shared certain behavioral characteristics. We now recognize that people with epilepsy have a variety of personality traits, positive and negative, just as people without epilepsy do.

The intermittent and often unpredictable occurrence of seizures can make you feel anxious or embarrassed, and cause some people with epilepsy to be reluctant to socialize normally. They may withdraw and feel angry or depressed. You may have extra stresses connected with work, and financial hardships secondary to career choices or the costs associated with your seizure disorder. Any of these factors can make people seem moody. Some of these feelings may be a normal reaction to the initial diagnosis of epilepsy or to the everyday events in your life. If they persist and significantly interfere with your life, talk with your physician or nurse. They may refer you to a professional counselor (social worker, psychologist or psychiatrist) to help you address these issues.

Some women with epilepsy experience changes in their seizure patterns at times of hormonal fluctuations, especially as it relates to their menstrual cycle. Many women also notice mood swings at specific times in their menstrual cycle. It may be helpful to keep a calendar of your menstrual cycle and any mood changes along with your seizure record to share with your doctor or nurse.

I also wonder if you doctor can refer you to a support group.

Penny Rayas, MFT, Therapist
Experience: I have 20 years experience in the mental health field
Let me know if you talked to your doctor about your symptoms.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi there .. He actually told me that these symptoms may be a seizure or an aura to a seizure & told me to track them in my diary along with the other symptoms. He referred me also to a psychotherapist who am meeting in 2 days. These symptoms are stil there, but getting less and less with time. Thanx 4 checking on me :-)
I am really happy that you are getting help with this. You should be very proud of yourself you asked for help and now you will get the help you need. Thanks so much for letting me know. My name is XXXXX XXXXX if you want to talk in the future ask for me and I will be very happy to help you. Have a great weekend
Penny Rayas, MFT, Therapist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanx a lot penny ! :)