How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Olsen Your Own Question
Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 2336
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Olsen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Please help. Were having problems trying to get help. My son is getting a divorce she ha

Customer Question

Please help. Were having problems trying to get help. My son is getting a divorce she has moved out of the house with out grand
daughter. My son has called CPS be-cause the person she moved in with is a sex
offender, trer 3. My son is in fear for his daughters saftey. We have tried Ant help would be appreciated
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for writing in JustAnswer.
I'm sorry to hear about your granddaughter's situation.
Let me ask you a few questions first.
Did CPS visit your granddaughter's mother's house after your son called CPS?
Did you call the police?
Who has a legal custody of your granddaughter?
Is there a specific question I can assist you with?
Please let me know by clicking on “Reply” and I will then craft my response.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Warm Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your response.

My understanding is that CPS did visit the home but the mother told them she is renting the home from him (boyfriend/sex offender) and she is actually living with him. His business address is listed as the property and his sex offender profile lists the same address and all public records list the home as his primary residence. The police were the one's that informed us that he was a sex offender and he had warrants. CPS stated it would take 30 days for the state police to investigate the situation and they would get back to our son. Both parents have custody. They are suppose to share days which the mother is not obiding by.

Is there anything my son can do to remove his 6 year old daughter from this situation? The police tell us one thing and the attorneys tell us another. Where is the justice for the children. It would be a shame if she was hurts during the states investigation period. What rights does he have as her father?

Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 4 years ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for your reply.
Is this man on parole and probation that requires him stay away from your granddaughter and children in general? If he is on parole/probation to stay away from kids, your son should contact the supervising authority and report the violation.
Your granddaughter's wife is showing poor jdgement regarding the safety of their child. Your son may bring that up to a family court, his attorney, and/or child's attorney.
You son should confront his wife about this.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

He just has to register for a lifetime. and is not on parole. They stated he could be around kids but can't live by a school or be on school property. He has on several occassions picked her up from school with her mother and was on school property. The police are aware of this and CPS is aware of this. They stated they are still investigating and would get back to us. Attorneys are aware of the situation also. The wife has been confronted and does not feel the daughter is in jeopardy. She is also leaving her with him when she goes to work. We are sickened with the system and the lack of concern/safety for the child.

Is there anything legally we can do?

Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 4 years ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for your reply.
I understand your concerns for your granddaughter.
I'll be worried about your granddaughter's safety as well after hearing your granddaughter is left alone with him at home.
When your son has her daughter, he may take her to a child psychologist for assessment. Your granddaughter may already have anxiety from the current living situation. A child psychologist's report or your granddaughter's oral report may be helpful in the process of CPS investigation.
Let me know if you want me to forward your question back to LEGAL experts.