Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist
Experience:  PsyD, LPC, CHt
19260254

I have a son that has Social Anxiety Disorder, and has a hard time seeking employment. He

I have a son that has Social Anxiety Disorder, and has a hard time seeking employment. He was diagnosed at 18 years old, is no longer seeking counseling. He is now 26 years old. I am concerned about his future as a young man. I would like him to move and establish his life so that he will not continue to rely on my husband and I. He is disabled, but he is talented and can work. Is it wrong to purchase a Co-op town home and move him out? I know that he has a grave fear, and we are not having a family dispute, I just don't want to make things worse. some times he will cry, and sound very hopeless. When he does work, he works hard. He believe that he will loose his job, and become homeless. Otherwise, he is very responsible with the odd jobs that he does have. He only has one credit card with a balance that is under $200. I believe that he would work if he had to survive
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 2 years ago.

" Is it wrong to purchase a Co-op town home and move him out?"

It is not wrong encouraging him to take care of himself rather than enabling him not to.

Those who do not have commercial health insurance can still receive treatment at their local community mental health centers. To find those in his area, he may phone the United Way toll free #211 dialed from a land line or, google community mental health and his state/area of residence.

Anxiety disorders are treatable both with counseling and medication amongst other options i.e. natural supplements, hypnosis, biofeedback.

He has to be willing to make a step forward by taking care of his health and then other obligations.

By asking him to move out, you're in a way assisting him in making that step which, otherwise he may not take. This is something he has to do for himself being an adult. You can only be encouraging and emotionally supportive w/o being enabling and it seems that you know that owning his independence would be best for him at this time.

Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist
Experience: PsyD, LPC, CHt