Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist
Experience:  PsyD, LPC, CHt

Please could someone give me some advice on how to get a proper/decent

Please could someone give me some advice on how to get a proper/decent night's sleep?

I have had sleep problems for some time, which I know are affected by how bad my depression is. I currently take Olanzapine which gives some help with sleep, but this is being changed in 10 days so I am concerned that my problem will worsen, especially as the new meds have a common side effect of insomnia!

Thanks

Sue
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rossi :

Hi Sue,

Dr. Rossi :

are you taking any other sleep aids?

Customer:

I can take Promethazine if needed but I don't like to use that all the time as it leaves me feeling groggy the next day

Dr. Rossi :

If you're taking any antidepressants at the moment?

Customer:

Yes, I take Agomelatine (50mg)

Dr. Rossi :

Thank you for clarifying. Antidepressants can suppress your REM sleep cycle

Dr. Rossi :

Are you having difficulties falling asleep, staying asleep/early waking up?

Customer:

I usually get to sleep okay but I struggle to stay asleep

Customer:

Occasionally I don't get off easily but normally I do

Customer:

Once I am awake my head is too busy to sleep again

Dr. Rossi :

There are few different options for sleep both medications and natural? Are you open to natural options?

Customer:

Yes

Customer:

The less drugs I take the better

Dr. Rossi :

Ok

Dr. Rossi :

There are herbal options such as : Valerian, Lemon Balm, Lady's Slipper

Dr. Rossi :

As well as aminoacids- GABA and L-trytophane

Dr. Rossi :

Then there is Melatonin but your Valdoxan already should be acting on the Melatonin receptors

Dr. Rossi :

Another non medication option is self hypnosis prior to bed time.

Customer:

Ok, is this something easy to do?

Dr. Rossi :

Unfortunately the Valdoxan also can increase the production of dopamine and norepenephrine which, could cause this early/frequent waking up

Dr. Rossi :

Because those are chemicals associates w/ the fight or flight response

Dr. Rossi :

Yes, you could either use a pre-recorded self hypnotic CD/MP3 from amazon

Dr. Rossi :

Or you could also work for a few sessions w. a hypnotherapist. Some insurance covers hypnosis

Dr. Rossi :

Another option is autogenic training (a form of self hypnosis)

Customer:

I've never heard of that

Dr. Rossi :

This is the manual for that

Dr. Rossi :

www.welz.us/Autogenic.pdf

Dr. Rossi :

Something else that could be helpful is the use of Blue UV spectrum light box

Customer:

Is the introduction of Aripiprazole likely to cause problems with getting off to sleep?

Customer:

I will check that website

Customer:

How does the light box help?

Customer:

Sorry, too many questions!

Dr. Rossi :

The light box works by its light triggering the melatonin in the brain and thus currecting the sleep cycle

Dr. Rossi :

The one by Aplo was researched by NASA

Dr. Rossi :

www.usa.philips.com/c/light-therapy/11625/cat

Dr. Rossi :

There may be a self assessment on their site that would tell you when to use it and for how long. It differs for each person

Customer:

Okay. That sounds a possibility.

Customer:

It just feels like every time I mention it's a problem for me that the doctors just want to throw more tablets at the problem!

Dr. Rossi :

Are you taking your meds in the AM?

Customer:

I take Olanzapine, Agomelatine and Promethazine at night

Dr. Rossi :

Some things to avoid prior to bed time would be- watching TV, using the computer, eating heavy meals or drinking coffee or alcohol

Customer:

I have tried varying the times slightly but nothing seems to work too much

Dr. Rossi :

You know, you may want to ask your MD if some of these you can take at night. Those meds that trigger dopamine and norepenephrine can keep you up

Customer:

I take them at night already

Dr. Rossi :

You may still take the natural Melatonin (it's cheaper than the light box)

Customer:

Okay

Customer:

Can I buy that across the counter?

Dr. Rossi :

I just mentioned the AM because if any of those could be taken in the AM, that may possibly let you have a restful sleep

Dr. Rossi :

You would not want to have your brain excited at bed time

Customer:

Ok, sorry, I mis-read that

Dr. Rossi :

Yes, you can buy Melatonin in the pharmacy or online

Customer:

Is the Aripiprazole likely to make any impact do you think?

Dr. Rossi :

Yes, because it activates the norepenephrine/dopamine and these are what can cause one to feel restless/irritable or wake up

Customer:

I'm in 2 minds about changing the anti psychotic but both have their disadvantages it seems!

Dr. Rossi :

Your prescribing MD could look into something else though since you're not sleeping well. That can make you feel not only tired but it can affect your memory/concentration.

Dr. Rossi :

There is also a link b/w sleep disorders and depression

Customer:

She suggested Quetiapine as an alternative but that has a problem with weight gain!

Dr. Rossi :

This may be a sleep disorder too like sleep apnrea. A neurological sleep study can check it out

Dr. Rossi :

Yes, unfortunately some psychotropics/antipsychotic meds can lead to weight gain

Customer:

Okay, thanks. I have a meds review in 10 days time so I think I need to discuss ALL my options with her

Dr. Rossi :

You welcome.

Customer:

That's why they are swapping them because I gained so much weight with the Olanzapine

Dr. Rossi :

You're your own best advocate. If something does not work well for you, change it by/ consulting w. her

Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist
Experience: PsyD, LPC, CHt
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.