KansasTherapist, LSCSW
Experience:  17 years experience with depression, abuse, and borderline.

I know that pathological lying is not considered a formal diagnosis.

I know that pathological lying is not considered a formal diagnosis. Can a person, who has been diagnosed as suffering from PTSD begin that behavior from the incident which is the catalyst for the PTSD dx and couold it also be associated with dissative disorder?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  KansasTherapist replied 4 years ago.
It is certainly possible for a person with PTSD to lie repeatedly over something that makes no sense or that is obviously untrue. In the case of someone with Dissociative Disorder, the person may not be lying in the sense of saying something they know isn't true. They don't, mentally, experience the same things their body does, due to being disassociated during certain events. Another possibility is the person may have Borderline Personality Disorder. This can lead to lying based on their terror of being abandoned or self destructiveness.

I hope this is helpful. If I'm headed in the wrong direction with my answer, please let me know.