TherapistJen
TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker.
64783947

Hi My 14 year old granddaughter, has lost about 10lbs in 2+1/2

Hi My 14 year old granddaughter, has lost about 10lbs in 2+1/2 months. She developed early; started menses around 11years old.
Two and half months ago she weigh 125lbs and was about 5feet 3inches; she is now 5feet 5inches.
My daughter became concern when she was measuring "L" for a dress. She mention that "L" once firm body is sagging, no ribs showing, and her breast measurement decreased by 3 inches. Her nails are slow growing and her hair is brittle.
Eyes are bright along with her sense of humor, she does eat less and does a little exercise; "L" is showing some concern; she wants to take ballet this fall.
My daughter is making a doctor appointment. In your opinion what could be going on.
Gma
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistJen replied 4 years ago.

CoachJenK :

Hi. Welcome. I am a Licensed Master Social Worker with more than 20 years experience working with individuals and families on a variety of issues.

CoachJenK :

Hi gma, It sounds as if she could be developing an eating disorder.

CoachJenK :

tell me more about what is going on in her social life, school life, etc.

CoachJenK :

This is a time in a young girls life where the focus on body image and weight can rear itself

CoachJenK :

I am glad she has an appointment with the doctor who can begin to evaluate what is going on and then see if a recommendation to a therapist who specializes in eating disorders might be helpful.

CoachJenK :

Are you with me gma?

Customer:

Her social life is ok, lots of friends boys/girls but wants a boyfriend. She didn't like what her gorgeous body effected boys because of their stares and remarks.

CoachJenK :

ahhhh that is classic....wanting to alter the appearance because of all the attention.

CoachJenK :

adolescence and growing up can be a scary time and the attention from boys and the focus on the body can all play a part in this rapid weight loss and wanting to change her appearance.

Customer:

yes

CoachJenK :

do you see her restricting food intake? If her hair is brittle as well as the nails, then it appears this has been going on for a while and not getting the proper nutrition

Customer:

Sorry its taking me so long to ans.

CoachJenK :

no worries I am here. Take your time

Customer:

Yes, my daughter sees that she was a hearty eatter now she's eatting less. As a gma I never think all four of her girls are eating the proper nutrition. I like your responds. We will chat again soon.

CoachJenK :

come back anytime. please click accept if i have been helpful