KansasTherapist, LSCSW
Experience:  17 years experience with depression, abuse, and borderline.

I Adopted my 11 yr old daughter when she was six. Good girl

I Adopted my 11 yr old daughter when she was six. Good girl mostly lying but very loving a little educated in sex but she has become a really good girl, till yesterday when she snuck outside and took two steak knives with her and was chasing the neighbor boys. I am in shock and very confused!
I too am an adoptive parent. Our son was 5 when we adopted him and he's now 17.

These kids have often been through so much, at such a young age, that there remains a lot of fear and anger in them. We can teach them and hope they find their way to health way of expressing these feelings, but sometimes they make mistakes. I would give her a chance to talk about what happened, and at hat point her feelings were so powerful she thought the knives were a good idea. Explore some other ways she could have handled the situation and role play with her to practice. If she is cooperative, and does a good job working on more appropriate behaviors, I might take off one day of the grounding or something as a positive reinforcement. you can show her your own feelings by telling her how much it frightened you that she would do something like this, and that even when she's wrong, you love her more than anything.

I hope this helps.