Rafael M.T.Therapist
Rafael M.T.Therapist, Psychotherapist
Experience:  MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
65591635

Hey. So, real quick run down. I just got married. And it

Customer Question

Hey. So, real quick run down. I just got married. And it would seem my husbands sister is a sociopath. The week approaching the wedding, her behavior went from typical compulsive lying and drug use to a whole new level. She was screaming at her brother, and telling me that she hated both of us. Basically doing anything to get any attention from anyone. I ignored her. I chose to not respond, to what seemed to be a grown adult's "childs tantrum". Our reception was ruined when a bridesmaid realized her purse upstairs had been emptied. As well as mine, there were five other girls who lost money that night. Prior to, his sister was caught by a family member doing cocaine on our front porch. By the end of the evening, the police had been called, but nothing was found. It wasn't until we left for the honeymoon that we were sure she did it. Hearing from family members about her behavior while we were gone is what tipped us off. Cocaine use on a daily basis, smug attitude, stating confidently that the person who did it would never get caught. My husband is actually worried about my safety at this point, emphasizing that I am the main focus of her intense jealousy. We need help, and fast. I don't think she'll accept help, of that I'm quite confident. Advice?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Rafael M.T.Therapist replied 4 years ago.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Hello, I am Rafael. Thanks for asking your question - I'm here to support you. (Information posted here is not private or confidential but public).

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I ma very sorry to know about this real nightmare.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Unhappily there is not much you could do to change her serious situation and further worsening, buy you need to make sure you make everything possible to protect from her preventing any form or abuse, violence or harm to your integrity.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I do not see an alternative here but to get a restraining order t=and to be very careful from now on, since it would not fix things, just allow you to protect yourselves and when a new episode arises you would have the legal means to request support to be enforced to stop her, and for her to receive some support. This is not easy at all, but that's what you can do.