KansasTherapist, LSCSW
Experience:  17 years experience with depression, abuse, and borderline.

My Partner has been on Wellbutrin SR 450mgs for about three

Customer Question

My Partner has been on Wellbutrin SR 450mgs for about three years for depression. She is experiencing anger outbursts that last quite a while and the thought of going through any more scares me. Could there be an adverse reaction from Wellbutrin? It doesn't happen all the time, maybe once a month but when it occurs I stay silent and try to keep ourselves out of bad situations. Can you advise?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  KansasTherapist replied 4 years ago.

KansasTherapist : Hello
KansasTherapist : How long have these outbursts been happening?
JACUSTOMER-bmmh3glz- :

Three years apprpximately

KansasTherapist : So it started right after she started the Wellbutrin?
JACUSTOMER-bmmh3glz- :

Within a year or so

KansasTherapist : It's not impossible that the wellbutrin is causing it. Would she consider talking to her doctor about a change?
JACUSTOMER-bmmh3glz- :

I doubt it. She doesn't believe that there is a problem

KansasTherapist : Do you think she would listen to you if you told her you don't like the way she acts when she gets mad?
JACUSTOMER-bmmh3glz- :

I have discussed this with her. I am hoping that

JACUSTOMER-bmmh3glz- :

I hope that a trained Therapist, you, can help her see that it is hurting me and our relationship.

JACUSTOMER-bmmh3glz- :

I am Bipolar and this does not help my treatment.

KansasTherapist : I would encourage her to see that when a person is angry, communication pretty much stops. A good way to handle it is for one or the other of you to ask for a time out, and agree to come back when both are calmed down.
KansasTherapist : Do you think she would agree to that?
JACUSTOMER-bmmh3glz- :

I will talk to her about this although I have pretty much done this already. She just gets angry,very, and trys to blame it on outside circumstances.

KansasTherapist : It doesn't matter what the circumstances are. If there is a problem the two of you need to work out you can only do that when both of you are calm enough to listen and talk. If you are upset, you can't do that. Ask her if she will let you have a time out when you ask for it and come back to the discussion in 15 to 30 minutes.
JACUSTOMER-bmmh3glz- :

Thank you, I'll try that.

KansasTherapist : Maybenif she can feel the difference between calm communication that is productive, and highly emotional communication, she will be willing to try it.
JACUSTOMER-bmmh3glz- :

Whenever we talk about it, in a calm state, she becomes highly aggitated

KansasTherapist : That's the time to stop.
JACUSTOMER-bmmh3glz- :

I fear that I have no options...

KansasTherapist : If you don't continue at that point she won't get more and more angry.
JACUSTOMER-bmmh3glz- :

Okay, I will try speaking to her again and when it gets volitle

KansasTherapist : Eventually, she'll see that if she wants to work something out, she has to be chill.
JACUSTOMER-bmmh3glz- :

I'll try anything. Hopefully I can do this and possibly come out with an outcome that we can both agree upon.

KansasTherapist : I hope so too.
JACUSTOMER-bmmh3glz- :

Thank you.

KansasTherapist : You're very welcome. If you could click accept, that would be great.