Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.

I have Bipolar 1 and ADD and have been out of work,hospitalized

Customer Question

I have Bipolar 1 and ADD and have been out of work,hospitalized 3 times in 15 months. SSDI denied my application,in spite of this and physical injuries.What can I do?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 4 years ago.
Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Dear friend,

I am so sorry for your psychological conditions and physical injuries that have made it difficult if not impossible for you to work. It seems as if it is almost the mission of disability officials to turn down your claims on the first attempt.

Yes it is unjust, and requiring an attorney seems to be the way the game is played. Part of what they do is to discourage you and humiliate you in an effort to get you to give up. Can you imagine decent people doing this for a living?

Just stick with it, listen to your attorney, and ride it out as best you can. Any off the book work that you can do would be therapeutic and encouraging, and would also put some money in your pocket.

Your plan should be to wait it out, keep trying, don't be discouraged. That is THEIR plan for you. Time is on your side.

One of the most therapeutic things you can do, is to get plenty of exercise, avoid cafeine, and try to do upbeat things in your life.

Take the extra time on your hands to re-organize the things in your life, including old records and documents, etc. Read inspiring books, and watch uplifting videos. Try to improve your diet, avoid caffeine and aspartame, and try to do something positive for yourself or for others, every single day.

I wish you success in winning your case. Stay positive and don't let yourself be discouraged. You will get there.

Warm regards,

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC