Bill
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience:  35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's
48585111

Could serotonin toxicity syndrome develop even after years

Could serotonin toxicity syndrome develop even after years of steady doseage of zoloft and xanax?

Bill :

Hello- Thank you for asking the question. I have over 30 years of experience working with individuals, couples and families & am happy to reply.

Bill :

I have worked in concert with Board Certified Child, Adolescent & Adult Psychiatrists throughout my career

Bill :

Serotonin syndrome is a potentially life threatening drug reaction that causes the body to have too much serotonin, a chemical produced by nerve cells.

Bill :

This syndrome can occur with monotherapy (taking one medication in the class of SSRI or SNRI) but typically is the result of use of two medications ( in different classes) as described in the link above.

Bill :

"The diagnosis is made on clinical grounds in patients who have taken one or more agents that are presumed to ‘increase’ serotonin "

Customer:

Lately i have felt the need to increase my xanax intake.. do you know if the combination of Zoloft and Xanax could produce this?

Bill :

Xanax is a Benzodiazapine which is of a class that is typically used to treat this syndrome.

Customer:

Treat as opposed to CAUSE this syndrome?

Bill :

Symptoms of the syndrome upon proper diagnosis and treatment will typical abate within 24-48 yours however their can be some prolonged symptoms.

Bill :

Treatment of Seratonin Sydrome is describe in detail in the above link:

Bill :

copied again above.

Bill :

Additional information on the treatment of Serotonin Syndrome is here:

Bill :

Is there anything else I can help with today?

Customer:

Okay i will read further.. the reason i ask is that im noticing slightly different reaction to the xanax recently-- though after 10 years i am still on a relatively low dose (1MG as needed).. 150mg of Zoloft nightly as well for at least 5 years-- just my final question--- such steady use-- this syndrome is not likely to develop all of a sudden- correct?

Bill :

This syndrome can develop at any time as explained in the medical literature above. It would be more likely to come from the Zoloft vs the Xanax.

Bill :

If I were you, I would double check with the prescribing Doctor just to make sure- You will also feel better.

Bill :

Call your Doctor today as he/she is best suited respond to your unique needs. Can you do that?

Customer:

I will do that first thing in the morning.. last thing i promise-- should the zoloft be causing some level of this syndrome-- would the xanax be dangerous in combination?

Customer:

would it INCREASE the toxicity?

Bill :

Actually, Xanax, a benzodiazapine is in the class that would be used to treat Serotonin Syndrome and therefore is not likely to be a factor at all.

Bill :

From what you write, a "slight" difference in the way you have been experiencing the medication

Bill :

is not suggestive of an acute Serotonin Syndrome- However, talking to your Doc will reassure you.

Customer:

okay i can breathe easier now thank you very much for your help i will follow up with my doctor in the morning. thank you very much!