JohnMichaels,MS,LPC
JohnMichaels,MS,LPC, Counselor (LPC)
Experience:  25+ years helping people find solutions...
68372260

MY 4 YR OLD GRANDSON REFUSES TO DEFECATE IN THE TOILET,ALTHOUGH

MY 4 YR OLD GRANDSON REFUSES TO DEFECATE IN THE TOILET,ALTHOUGH HE WILL URINATE THERE. HE BEGINS TO SHAKE & SWEAT AND
REFUSES TO SIT DOWN. WHAT CAN WE DO?

JohnMichaels,MS,LPC :

I am sure this is frustrating. I do have a couple questions before I answer your question. !) What have you tried so far? 2) Have you had him checked out by his pediatrician fro any complications?

Customer:

YES HE HAS BEEN CHECKED BY HIS PEDIATRICIAN SEVERAL TIMES. HE HAS HAD IN THE PAST TROUBLE

Customer:

HIS TOYS HAVE BEEN TAKEN AWAY. BUT IF HE CRIES ENOUGH THEY ARE RETURNED

JohnMichaels,MS,LPC :

Well, he is obviously somewhat getting the picture, as he is urinating there. It is not uncommon for a 4-year-old to not be fully potty trained. i am assuming he is not shaking and aweating when he defecates elsewhere. If he is, you might schedule another visit with the pediatrician. Otherwise, consistancy is imporotant, but do not force the issue. praise him for successess, but be understanding when he is not successful. There are some good books and videos out there that exemplify in a child's language good potty behavior. Try to be patient. With consistancy, you will likely have success.

JohnMichaels,MS,LPC :

Maybe instead of removing his toys you could just try a reward system of giving him something rewarding for successess. Once again, this will only work with consistancy.

Hi! I appreciate you allowing me to help you maybe arrive at a solution the other day. I hope I was helpful. Let me know if I can help you in any other way.

John Michaels, MS, LPC