Dr_Anderson, Doctor
Experience:  Psychiatrist

Why dont psychiatrists do talk therapy anymore? How can they know whats going

Why don't psychiatrists do talk therapy anymore? How can they know what's going on in my mind and life in 15 minutes when they're writing the entire time. They have no clue what they're prescribing and the effects these drugs have on their patients. Further more, they don't care. I can't take Risperidol because I'm not bipolar and it made me very suicidal. My former psychiatrist demanded that I take it anyway. It was all about his ego. Psychiatrist need to spend more time with those who are truly ill and let the junkies destroy their lives. I'm trying as hard as I can to keep moving forward on antidepressants alone. No street drugs, illegal prescription drugs or alcohol. It's not fair. I need help, too. I'm taking Effexor XR 330mg

sopsych :

You are right

Is that it?

I want to know why I'm right.

I sorry the chat function is not working
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Three words! That's not an answer. I want to know WHY!
Greetings, and thank you for your question. I feel compelled to answer, since I am not quite sure what my colleague means and it seems your frustration is with psychiatrists.

The short answer is, it depends upon the psychiatrist. I, for one, still do therapy, but on a limited basis. Psychiatrists and therapists, be they Master's or Doctoral level, can do therapy, but only psychiatrists can prescribe medications (exceptions exist in some states, where psychologists may also prescribe medications if they have the proper training and qualifications). Due to the national shortage of psychiatrists, the waiting list to get in to see one is often huge. The wait times get longer if looking for a psychiatrist who accepts insurance.

On a side note, psychiatrists who do not accept insurance (fee for service) tend to do therapy, since the insurance companies do not dictate how they can practice their craft. And there you come down to the kicker as to why your psychiatrist sees you for only 15 minutes and does not do therapy: insurance does not reimburse us to do it; insurance pays therapists less to do therapy, psychiatrists charge more than most therapists, so the insurance companies decided that they will reimburse the less expensive option (that does NOT mean lower quality! I have many non-psychiatrist colleagues who could do therapy circles around most psychiatrists). Those are the very brief economic reasons why many psychiatrists do not do therapy.

As for your experiences with psychiatrists, I'm very sorry you have not had positive ones. It does discredit to our service when psychiatrists act like that. Most of us don't presume depression equals junkie (even though due diligence requires we at least screen for drug misuse). Most of us presume the person sitting across from us is hurting and needs to get better ASAP so they can flourish in life. Most of us are willing to do extraordinary things to see that happen.

But some of us don't, and that's what you got.

My advice?

(1) Seek a new psychiatrist
(2) Call his/her office and get a feel for what the intake is like, how long it is, what follow-ups are like, etc. This way you can be informed and know what to expect.
(3) Perhaps seek one who does NOT take insurance, so you can have the option to do therapy, if desired.

I hope this helps! Please let me know if I may be of further service.

Dr. Anderson
Dr_Anderson, Doctor
Experience: Psychiatrist