Heidi LPC
Heidi LPC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Licensed Professional Counselor
65628425

If you suspect a family member is a sociopath - what is the

If you suspect a family member is a sociopath - what is the next step -- what kind of therapy or psychiatric intervention is suggested?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Heidi LPC replied 2 years ago.

Heidi LPC :

Hi there! I am hoping to be of some assistance to you... I am wondering if you could provide a bit more information before I make any suggestions? Wondering if the person in question is resistant to the idea of getting help, or is willing? Also wondering what it is about his behavior that makes you suggest the definition of sociopathic? And finally, wondering what you think was the reason that the past therapy was unsuccessful?

Heidi LPC :

I will await further information; thank you for your question and I look forward to sorting it out with you!! :-)

Customer:

The person in question has confessed to figuring out what the medical professional wants him to say or how to act to get out of the therapy. Also, he believes that there are no real issues with himself and can handle the situation himself. He is very charming and likable, but he has stolen from family members to get hat he want (drugs, electronics, etc.) and does not seem to how remorse or shame when confronted. He also has a history of lying whenever he needs to get something he wants (he has been caught in many bit continues to do so) Many other examples

Heidi LPC :

Ok... and you mentioned drug abuse, as well... is this still going on?

Customer:

yes -- also maybe gambling

Heidi LPC :

And has he/she ever been medicated for depression or such?

Heidi LPC :

Oh... he... sorry!!

Customer:

no - there is a family history of depression, but he does not seem to exhibit those symptoms, but the pathological lying and stealing has gone on since he was a child -- he has stolen his mother's, his grandmothers and aunt's jewelry and other merchandise -- but does not seem concerned or emotional when confronted.

Customer:

Would traditional medication for depression -- such as SSRIs be used for this issue if diagnosed?

Heidi LPC :

Your description does sound as if it meets the criteria for antisocial personality disorder, and there is a range of opinions out there about if this condition can be "cured". Sometimes, there is a co-morbid condition, such as depression or ADHD, etc... that is messing with the brain's chemistry and affecting the part of the brain associated with judgement, etc. Lithium carbonate and phenytoin have been known to help with the aggression that sometimes comes with the condition. If the person shows signs of depression, they may try the SSRI type of treatment first.

Heidi LPC :

This is one of the tougher conditions to treat, as there must be a combination of drug therapy plus the one-on-one talk therapy which would attempt to re-condition the client's sense of right and wrong through finding some value in not committing offenses against those they care for.

Customer:

Yes -- My son, who is his cousin, has been diagnosed with ADHD, anxiety disorder and OCD - so I think there could be other co-morbid factors that are factors in the anti-social behavior -- It is good yo know that there may be options to help -- I think knowing that a combination therapy plus drug treatment is am option is very helpful. Thank you

Heidi LPC :

Yes--- it would have to be managed this way, and the Dr. would want to look for the co-morbid condition first, which may hopefully help the chemistry get back in balance. It has been said that re-teaching the person the reasons why they shouldn't choose crime, as in giving them lessons in the possible consequences they could suffer, will stem the behavior more so than expecting them to feel remorse. Hopefully, if this person can accept that their behavior is abnormal, understand that their brain chemistry may be to blame, they may be more willing to try getting treatment.

Heidi LPC :

Kind of a "scared straight" approach, so to speak!

Heidi LPC :

The first step will be to find a therapist who is versed in this disorder and who isn't easily manipulated... and you can go from there! I hope this was somewhat helpful to you and if you have any further questions or information to share, just let me know!

Heidi LPC :

Thank you for your question and for using the site!!

Heidi LPC, Psychotherapist
Experience: Licensed Professional Counselor
Expert:  Heidi LPC replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.