Alicia_MSW
Alicia_MSW, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Specializing in mental health counseling
65143460

depressed n dont know where to turn

Customer Question

depressed n dont know where to turn i have so much on my plate needless to say dont have a very good income and thecouseling services where i live r good for crap, they have major issues them selves, havent been back to mine since she hurt herself not mich help right
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Alicia_MSW replied 5 years ago.
Hi there,

I'm Alicia, I'm happy to help you today. I can understand the difficulty you're experiencing in finding decent counseling services if you have a low income, but if you can tell me where you live I may be able to help you find a counseling center in your area that works with a sliding scale. Many community centers also offer free or low-cost counseling - but again, that depends on where you live.
I am also available to talk more about this if you'd like, feel free to reply to this message and I will respond when I hear from you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

the only olace i know of here that does sliding scale is where i was going.i live in hobbs new mexico.

Frown i just know i need someone i can trust, things r not good n my world. i have become someone i am not. i dont trust people very well.

I'm so sorry to hear that you're feeling this way :( Would you like to talk about it some more here? I can also see if there are some places nearby where you live that might be able to help, if you'd like. Just let me know what you'd prefer, I'm here to talk if you want to. Also, since behavioral health services are limited where you live, have you consulted your GP about the way you've been feeling?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

no, i try not to involve others to much, so many of the dr here focus on medication n no solution.

if youd tell me the places nearby id appriciate it.

so u have an idea of what is up

i have a lil girl that is sick and as been criticaly ill n the past year twice, almost last her n january, things r falling apart since that i have other problems from before that i have never told about and not ready to talk about.

It's unfortunate, but I know what you mean when you say that doctors are often focused more on medication than on helping you come to a solution regarding the underlying problem.

And I am so incredibly sorry to hear about your little girl. I can appreciate that you aren't ready to talk about it, but it does certainly explain why you are feeling so depressed. Medication is not a solution, but sometimes it can help, temporarily, if your symptoms are getting in the way of being able to function normally. Just keep that in mind.

As far as counseling centers that might be able to help, you could try online counseling if you'd prefer - many therapists now offer online sessions or through Skype (such as this counselor, who says she also has a sliding scale:
http://www.nauglecounseling.com/onlinecounseling/)
In terms of in-person counseling,I've only been able to find one location that offers low-cost or sliding scale counseling in your area:

The Guidance Center of Lea County
http://www.centerfornonprofitexcellence.org/nonprofit-directory/guidance-center-lea-county

There is also one private therapist in your area who you might want to contact. If he cannot help you, perhaps he can refer you to a colleague who can:
http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/prof_detail.php?profid=61457&sid=1337852837.5462_29907&county=Lea&state=NM

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you need additional assistance. Best wishes.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

will u check the seminole texas area foro me.

i am sorry to be such a pain. i am overwhelmed n need to talk, ummm seems hows i have to be up n 3 hours i will see what you cam up with in seminole by then.

You're not being a pain, and I'm happy to help you with this issue. (and I hope you've gotten some rest.)

In the meantime, I've found two therapists in Andrews, which I believe is nearby Seminole and Hobbs. It says that they both have a sliding scale and work with people with depression:
http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/prof_detail.php?profid=84868&sid=1337854557.3665_26383&county=Andrews&state=TX &s=C
and
http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/prof_detail.php?profid=105481&sid=1337854557.3665_26383&county=Andrews&state=TX&s=C

I hope that helps. Good luck!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

ok so i didnt sleep.

let me just tell you

I am very stressed and depressed. i have so many dr appointments to take my little girls to and so many things to keep up with. My daughter has beenthru alot and now has behavior issued sue to medicaiton and i dont know how to react to the negative behavior thta can be caused by the medication.

i sometimes want to throw n the towel and give up. my husband does what he can but when you work 4 night a week and have to sleep during the day it is kinda hard for him to help.

It hurts to know i could have lost her 2 times.

what can i do to deal with her nagative bahavior knowing that some is related to going to dre all the time and some due to the medication. Cry

Hi there,

Sorry for the delay. I know how hard it is to function when you haven't gotten enough rest, and it's doubly hard if you have to handle a lot of what's going on on your own due to your husband's work schedule. I don't entirely understand what it is that is causing your daughter's behavior because I'd need a bit more background information, but from what you're saying, she's also incredibly stressed by having to deal with her condition - so her negative behavior is probably understandable as well. If you want to tell me more about it here, please feel free, and I can offer you more specific advice. But just for your information, it could be that she's feeling depressed too (if you think that is the case, you might want to mention it to her doctor.) I'll share this website with you, which has a lot of good information about depression in children and how you can help (though it's an Australian website, so the resource information on the bottom might not be applicable here:)
http://www.cyh.com/HealthTopics/HealthTopicDetails.aspx?p=114&np=141&id=1920
Best of luck, and please let me know if you need additional assistance.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
was fine till today now depressed dont know why
I'm sorry to hear it. Have you been able to get in touch with a therapist?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no, i have not..
Well, I would suggest that, if you haven't already, you try to contact those therapists, and at the very least, to see your GP if it lasts for longer than a few days. If you've been feeling okay for the past few weeks, then perhaps this is a temporary dip, but if you start to feel depressed for several days in a row, then you should try to seek help if possible. I hope you feel better soon.