Brad The Therapist
Brad The Therapist, LCPC
Experience:  10 years of experience in working with youth and adults
50717502

i have a "friend" that, after what i have experienced from him, and what i have

Customer Question

i have a "friend" that, after what i have experienced from him, and what i have read, seems to suffer from PAPD. Common friends of us say that he was not like that some years ago, and since i know him,... he seems to get worse too... Is it possible to develop PAPD after 40 or it's something that comes from before? (he also have PSTD and depression). When i met him i thought he was just having a bad time after divorce, but it was all too weird, those promise always broken, excuses, making me feel as if it was my fault... Noticing that he was unable to trust in people (he said it was because his friends left him alone after his divorce and took his ex-wife's side and everyone betrays him). He has predicted many times that i would abandon him too (that would be the normal thing to do). ). I have tried to show at all times that he can trust in me (even when he's been so awfully PA).. He projected on me many of his actions and feelings, even called me PA, that is how i know about this.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Doctor Rao replied 2 years ago.

Doctor Rao : Hi,Can I clarify..When you say PAPD, do you mean Paranoid personality disorder?
Doctor Rao : Or Passive aggressive personality disorder
Doctor Rao : ?
Customer:

hi

Customer:

sorry, i should have write the whole thing

Customer:

negativistic passive agressive disorder

Customer:

although, that is what i think he as, not sure, i am not a psychologist, i just guessed by the many traits that are in common with his behave, although i am not sure of other ones.

Expert:  Brad The Therapist replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. Any personality disorder occurs only when one is above the age of 18 (according to the current diagnostic criteria.) I have a feeling you friend may had these tendencies when he was younger, but it is much more evident now after the age of 40. There is hope for your friend, however, as therapy with a psychologist may be the answer for him. He said that he tried therapy and it did not work in the past. Finding a fit is very important, and I recommend for him to find a psychologist that uses psychodynamic theoretical orientation for his current symptoms. If he resists on going, I suggest having an intervention with all of his friends and family, explaining your current concerns for him.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Brad The Therapist, LCPC
Experience: 10 years of experience in working with youth and adults