Brad The Therapist
Brad The Therapist, LCPC
Experience:  10 years of experience in working with youth and adults

I always feel like i live in my brain. about 90%. I also have

Customer Question

I always feel like i live in my brain. about 90%. I also have OCD. I also Am really sensitive to light, loud noises and I smell, taste and feel more than others. Basically my senses always seem to be at 300%. Is there something wrong with me?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 2 years ago.
Hi
Thank you for writing in JustAnswer.
I'm sorry to hear about your situation.
Let me ask you a few questions first.
When did this problem start?
Are you currently working with a psychiatrist and a psychotherapist?
Please let me know by clicking on “Reply” and I will then craft my response.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Warm Regards,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
As far back ask can remember. I am not working with anyone on it. My general doctor said it was anxiety and gave me Prozac.
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for waiting.
I'm sorry to hear about your situation.
It sounds like you have Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD - anxiety disorder) and depression.
Your hypersensitivity to internal and external stimuli may have to do with your neuro-chemical condition and/or some traumatic incidents in childhood. Do you have any medical condition?

Relaxation and Stress reduction techniques such as yoga, meditation, Acupuncture, Nutrition and Guided imagery may help you to reduce anxiety symptoms like obsessions and restlessness.

I also would advise you to work with a psychologist WEEKLY for 6 months or longer.
Medication and psychotherapy are effective for OCD.

You may benefit from having a Cognitive-Behavior therapy (CBT) for your anxiety disorder/OCD.
You can call your insurance company and get a list of providers in your area.
Or, you can search a licensed psychologist on internet- such as the PSYCHOLOGY TODAY website. Go to (http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/ppc/prof_search.php?iorb=4764) and enter your zip code and optional category of specialty such as OCD. Read psychotherapists’ profile to see if he or she specializes in Cognitive-Behavior therapy (CBT).
You may also want to create your mental image of psychotherapist that you want to work with – Male or female? To note, many therapists offer initial consultation for free. So, he can see it as an informational meeting. He can ask any question.

I hope you get help from your doctor, a psychiatrist, and/or a psychologist for yourself.

Please let me know if you have more questions or I have overlooked any. Warm regards,
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 2 years ago.
Do you have a question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Dr.Olsen,

I do not have any medical condition. I am in great health and eat a very healthy diet. What would cause my Neuro chemicals to be off? Also, what is CBT?

I seem to do well when I am pumped full of endorphines like after a run or dancing all night. Does that still sound like OCD, anxiety and depression. Also I am almost never sad. I am happy or content most of the time. Can I still be depressed?

I am an INFP according to the Jung type personality test. Would that have an impact?

Tommy

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Just wanted to be sure. I feel like there needs to be more discussion. I want to go see a doctor and would like to know more about what i might be dealing with.
Expert:  Brad The Therapist replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your post. Please tell me more about your current symptoms. Also, when did these symptoms first start? What was happening in your life during this time. After your response, I may be able to give you a better idea of what may be happening.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have always been like this. I remeber as a child I saw fantastical creatures. My brain registers alot of these type events as real experience but I know that it just couldn't be. I feel sometimes even now some of my dreams register as real. I have always read books. I love the escape. I spend most my time going through scenarios in my mind making up different outcomes and possibilities. This includes super powers and pace travel and well just about anything you can think of. so a am in like a dramstate most the time.

With that said, I also have a highly sensitive nervous system. I seem to be able to sense things better than others. More than that I am super sensitive to light, loud sounds, sounds that are distracting like crowded rooms or alarms or even the tic tic tic of clocks. But I like sounds of engines and hot tubs.

I also have this weird think that I can usually know what a person wants before they ask.

I spend alot of time alone and I let very few people in my life. I am irritated if things are not in order. I take on new things in an obsessive way. Like lerning new things. i go all out sometime forgetting to sleep, eat and ignoring my family and friends.

I used to be really depressed but I haven't ben for 5 or 6 years now. I don't cry myself to sleep anymore. I kinda obsess about my weight even though my freinds say I am too skinny. Sometimes I just stay in my room all day. I enjoy days like these. If I lived alone I would do it more often.

What else...I love friendships and deep relationships but think sex is gross. I think the world is a chaotic place where people need to learn how to love more I usually hug everyone I am introduced to. And I love to study people and predict what they'll do next. I do this in movies all the time and my freinds don't like it when I predict out loud.

I am a middle child. One older Brother one younger sister. What else.....? well that is alot to chew on.

Thanks for helping.

Tommy

Thank you for your response. Based on what you wrote, I can see why you may think you have OCD. One question you did not answer is what was happening in your life when you first started experiencing these symptoms.

Also, have you experienced any trauma in your life, such as physical, sexual, or emotional abuse? Have you witness anything traumatic?

What is your relationship with your parents like? I apologize to bombard you with questions, but I am slowly formulating suggestions based on your responses. After your response to these questions, I will have some recommendations.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I think I with born with these symptoms. I dont remember not having them. I don't recall anything too traumatic. except being extremly afraid of the dark as a child and a fear of hights. No abuse, and I have a good relationship with my folks. closer to my mom. I think a lot of things are too much for me to see. People killing or being mean to others, slasher movies and needles. I dont like yelling or arguing or competitions. My parent only fought once I can remember.

The symptoms were harder to deal with as a teen.Even though I have worse days as an adult.

NP about asking question because that is the only way to get answers from me. I tend not give details or focused answers withiut quetions to guide me. So ask away.

Smile

Thank you for your response. What does your mother say about your early childhood experiences such as being afraid of the dark or fear of heights?

Your reactions to stimuli reminds me of hypervigilence, which is common for people who experienced or witnessed life threatening situations. These experience could have happened as an infant (prior to being verbal) as the body has "muscle memory" of traumatic experiences. What I mean by this is that when an infant experiences something traumatic (it can be a scary medical procedure or witnessing something scary) prior to being verbal, the brain remembers the way the body reacted to these events, thus as a child, teen, and as an adult, one may still feel sensitive to stimuli that may remind the body of this traumatic experience.

My suggestion for you is to ask your mother questions around when you were born or as an infant. Ask her if you had any medical complications during pregnancy or at birth? If you experienced loss or witnessed something life threatening as a baby, etc.

Another suggestion I have for you is to see a psychologist that can help you learn and practice different coping skill in reducing your current symptoms. Taking Prozac or any other SSRI is helpful for your symptoms, but therapy will allow you to learn and use coping skills to further reduce your symptoms.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Brad The Therapist, LCPC
Experience: 10 years of experience in working with youth and adults