Ask Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC Your Own ...

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

Hey Kate. Dr. M left me on wellbutrin, and prescribed both

Hey Kate. Dr. M left me on wellbutrin, and prescribed both adderrall ir & xr. She wants me to try the ir a few days, then the xr a few days, then both together and see what I feel is working best. She said it may also bolster the zoloft & wellbutrin too, so didn’t up the zoloft right now. She wants me to schedule a long appointment so we can talk. She’s glad I am usually going to see Linda 2x/wk - that apparently showed her I was “doing the work.”
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC replied 2 years ago.

Hi Shay,

Thanks for the update. It sounds like she is working to find a solution to how you feel but might not be sure of what works for you yet.

Let me know how it goes with the medications. It's always a shot in the dark with them because of individual body chemistry but I'm sure you will find a good balance. And it may help you feel much better.

How have you been otherwise?

Kate

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

She said she thought I was depressed- but not any kind of chemical thing - just sad from what I am having to deal with. I totally agree that it is just situational. She asked a lot of questions about by mood, etc. She also asked me a lot more questions about the ADD stuff, and from when I was a child. When we initially went over all that, I had brought her a questionnaire Linda had had me fill out, and I answered it for today - not as a child. She had asked me a few childhood questions, but I guess not enough. She said she had thought before that I may have mild ADD or maybe just sleep issues which seemed like ADD (which I do have the sleep issues). But she said now that she has clarified some things, she thinks it may be more severe than she thought. That is actually very good news to me. And I am glad she trusts me enough to let me play around with the medication and see what works. She said forget the seroquel. She thought the flashbacks were much more frequent than they are. When I told her I had only had 4-5 total, we agreed that taking seroquel regularly was overkill and I explained why seroquel on an as-needed basis wouldn't work. She said as long as I'm not having them too frequently and not when I'm driving or something, then it's best not to add the seroquel - especially since the clonazepam seems to be helping the nightmares more than the seroquel did. She told me how to assess what is working best in terms of the adderall. Once we see, then she'll play around with the dosage.

I was surprised she wants me to come in and talk to her, but I'm okay with that. As I think I told you, she asked how often I was seeing Linda, and I told her usually twice a week. This was after I told her that I knew I would get over the hump at some point, but I was surprised how long it was taking and how hard it was and that it was easier not to feel. She said "so, you're doing the work." Did she think it was taking so long because I wasn't working hard enough?

I'm still not feeling great, but was pretty distracted today. Had my appointment with Dr. M then a CLE class this morning and a bunch to get filed this afternoon. Last night wasn't fun, and it was really no help with P gone. Oh well. Guess that's just how it is.

Shay,

It sounds like Dr. M is very thorough in her research into what is might be causing your feelings and symptoms. That is good to know. Prescribing the right medication involves not only symptoms, but finding out the possible root of the symptoms so the right diagnosis is found, which may be why she was asking so many questions.

I don't think she felt you weren't doing the work of therapy. My guess is that she noticed your feelings that it was taking too long to work this through and that you felt it was easier to not feel the emotions associated with your past. Both are natural feelings, especially given what you have been through. Dr. M may feel that the feelings you have about therapy may hold you back from facing your past and working through your issues. Resistance is common in therapy and particularly so when you are coping with the level of trauma you are dealing with. Who wants to march head on into such painful feelings? It takes time and the right kind of support to deal with trauma.

I'm sorry that you are not feeling good. It's hard to push through when you feel so bad. If I can help in any way, I'm here.

Kate
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. In general, I am just pretty angry, I think. And resentful, but of whatI don't know.

Anger can be about fear, or feeling loss of control. It can be a defense as well to protect you from emotional pain. We can talk it through if you want. It may help.

I'm shutting down for the night (long day!) but I will check back in tomorrow.

Good night, Shay. I hope you have a good night!

Kate

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay

I'm glad to catch you while you are on. If you want to think about what you feel the origins might be of your anger, it would give us a place to start. From what I recall, this seemed to start after you shared some very personal things with Linda. Do you feel it is connected? Just a thought.

Talk to you soon,

Kate

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yeah, probably. --- Go ahead and shut down. We can talk tomorrow or some other time. Have a good night!

S

Thanks. I will head over to your new question and respond there......