TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

new thread ....

new thread ....
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 4 years ago.
Well, it is certainly up to you. If you feel you can sit with it and you recognize the depression for what it is, then making an effort to deal with it might not be for you. It depends on how concerned you are about it and if you want to feel better now. If you are willing to wait to let it pass, that is ok too.

Just be careful you are not dismissing it because you want to repress it or that you feel you are not worth the time or effort. You are worth it. So a little introspection about it is important. And if you are clear on that, then handling it any way you choose is just fine.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't really understand what you are saying. You said to accept it s a normal part of the ups and downs that come with all this, then you say that it's my choice if I don't want to feel better right now. ??
Yes, it is helpful to accept that there are ups and downs in recovery. But accepting does not mean you just have to live with it. You can still do some things to help yourself come out of the depression and feel better.

Think of it like a cold. Most people accept that a stuffy nose is part of a cold. But that doesn't mean you have to sit and suffer with it. You can find a solution to help unstuff your nose until the cold passes or you can just let it be. It's the same with the down feelings you have from your recovery. You can either sit with them and let them be, or you can do some things to feel better. It's up to you how you want to handle it.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
okay. that makes more sense.