Brad The Therapist
Brad The Therapist, LCPC
Experience:  10 years of experience in working with youth and adults
50717502

I have bipolar and have been very ill for the last 6 years.

I have bipolar and have been very ill for the last 6 years. I have tried a few different doctors and once again find myself unhappy with the dr. I am seeing now despite giving him the benefit of the doubt. He overmedicated me whicfh landed me in the hospital for two and a half weeks and prescribed an anti-depressant for me that I had taken before and wound up with NMS and again in the hospital. I'm afraid to start all over again but don't see any way out. Do I just look on line and pick out a doctor listed or is there a way to pre-screen a doctor without him having my medical file to look at?

Brad The Therapist :

Thank you for your question. Based on your post, it seems as though you were not able to find the right fit with your past psychiatrist. Is that how you would descrivbe that? If so, the best way to find a good psychiatrist is through word-of-mouth or by seeing a therapist. or a psychologist. Before giving you more suggestions, I have a few questions for you. How long do you take your medications for before the side effects are too much? What medications have you used in the past? You are correct that antidepressants will not work as this will get you in the manic phase with a horrible crash after the mania.

Brad The Therapist :

Hello, are you still there?

Customer:

I just sent you a response at 1:22

Brad The Therapist :

It is not appearing on my screen.

Brad The Therapist :

would you mind coping and pasting the response?

Brad The Therapist :

I apologize for the technical difficulties

Customer:

I have had a couple Drs that were wonderful. However, one went into adminitrative work and the other only practices out of the hospital. This has put me in the position of trying other drs with little satisfaction. The meds would work for awhile and then I would have a relapse and the meds would be increased and I would do better for awhile and go all over again. This last cycle was for a couple of years with my meds being systematically being raised until I wound up in the hospital for med. adjustment. I have been on Abylify (*this caused the NMS), Prozac, Cymbalta, Lamictal, Zyprexa, Depacote, Seroquel, There are others I can't remember the names of. I am currantlly on the
Depacote and Seroquel.

Brad The Therapist :

How is your current medication regemin?

Brad The Therapist :

is the depakote and seroquel helping at the moment?

Customer:

Other than the depression, the depakote and the seroquel are helping with the mania and anxiety.

Brad The Therapist :

Have you considered seeing a therapist or a psychologist in addition to psychiatrist. Research shows that the combination of therapy and medication works best for treating bipolar.

Customer:

I saw a psychologist a few years ago but stopped when I was relapsing and couldn't focus enough to see him. So, you are saying I should go back to him again?

Brad The Therapist :

Yes, I recommend going back especially now since you are going throw a depression. A psychologist will assist you in practicing and using coping skills when you go through mood changes. In addition, if medications are not working effectively, the psychologist can advocate for you with the psychiatrist to find the right combination of medications.

Customer:

Okay, thanks for your help.

Brad The Therapist :

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer:

I have one. Should I put together all my files from the different doctors I have seen to show to the new doc?

Brad The Therapist :

Yes, medical records are very important for new doctors so that they can see any patterns, effectiveness, etc when prescribing medications.