Suzanne
Suzanne, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  LCSW, RN. Mental Health, Relationship & Parenting issues.EMDR, Hypnosis.
32195369

ASK SUZANNE, I am going to type up and laminate the list of

ASK SUZANNE, I am going to type up and laminate the list of things I have to be proud and happy about. I feel bad that my husband and I don't have a lot of money....and that we can't give our son a mercedes when he turns 16. I know that we can give him a lot of other things. like time, attention, help with learning etc. could you help me create a list of ways I can give and care for my son? this may help. thanks, Jen
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Suzanne replied 2 years ago.
I love the idea of making a list of things you have to be proud and happy about!

The gifts you can give your son that don't cost a thing include:
1. The gift of knowing that his parents truly love him.
2. The gift of being secure so that he can go and explore when he gets a little older--knowing that you are watching and keeping him safe.
3. The gift of NOT having everything handed to him on a silver platter--so he has the chance to experience the satisfaction and pride of working for and earning things.
4. The gift of your undivided attention for at least a little while each and every day. Children need to be noticed.
5. The gift of allowing him to make some mistakes--so that he can learn from them.
6. And finally, the gift of not expecting him to be perfect.

If every parent gave their child these gifts, child therapists would soon be out of work!
Suzanne, Mental Health Professional
Experience: LCSW, RN. Mental Health, Relationship & Parenting issues.EMDR, Hypnosis.