Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist

how to determine mental stability or lack of mental health

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for writing in JustAnswer.
Let me ask you a few questions first.
How are your sleep and appetite lately?
Do you feel sad, angry or anxious often?
Please let me know by clicking on “Reply” and I will then craft my response.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Warm Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
sleep not enough eat too much of the wrong [ good tasting foods]Often anxious as I am a food server.Wish I could figure out a better more satisfying job ! Feel hopeless !working and ruining my body at this job . My tax dollars wasted to keep welfare and crimminals . Looking forward to having a coronary on the way to or at my stressfilled job .Feel traped and basically sick and tired .What can I do? Well reality dictates that we are not wanted at 49 and 54! Gotta love the value placed on honest hard working people none
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 4 years ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for your reply.
I had to be away from computer all day due to other duties.

Okay, So, it sounds like you are under lots of stress lately as you feel anxious and hopeless due to your current restaurant job.
Your feelings of hopelessness and anxiety, fatigue and sleep problems may be indicative of your mental health problem - mild depression.

Symptoms of anxiety overlap those of depression.
Let me explain: Depression can disrupt the nerve impulses that carry a constant stream of orders from the brain to the muscles. When the depressed brain slows down, so do the signals to all parts of body. Depression affects MEMORY, problem-solving ability, language, perception and is accompanied by nervous tension, anxiety, and profound fatigue. It can generate pain and aches. Medical reasons for Depression may include thyroid hormone abnormality, Vitamin B12 Deficiency, Chronic pain, Stroke (Brain injury), Alzheimer’s disease to name a few. Malnutrition/brain damage can dull mood further. Excessive alcohol use may aggravate depression. Some medication can cause or contribute to depression. Your doctor should know all the medication that you are taking.

First, I would advise you to get a physical check-up from your primary care doctor to detect and rule out any medical condition that may cause or contribute to your feelings of sadness and anxiety.

If you are physically fine, I would advise you to see a psychotherapist to express and process your feelings and thoughts and get advice and support WEEKLY. A combination of psychotherapy and pharmacotherapy are considered to be effective to treat Depression and anxiety. Cognitive-behvaior therapy (CBT) will work for depression and anxiety. You may also discuss your job problems with your therapist.
If you want to change your current job to another one, a life coach may be helpful.
Either a psychotherapist or life coach may help you to reduce the intensity of your stress and find a way to change your life better.

You may ask your doctor for a psychologist/psychotherapist that you can work with weekly. Or you may call your insurance company and get a list of providers (licensed psychologists or psychotherapists) in your area.
Or, you can search a licensed psychologist on internet- such as the PSYCHOLOGY TODAY website. Go to ( and enter your zip code and optional category of specialty such as Depression or Life coaching. Read psychotherapists’ profile to see if he or she specializes in Cognitive-behavior therapy of Life coaching. You may also want to create your mental image of psychotherapist that you want to work with – Male or female? To note, many therapists offer initial consultation for free. So you can see it as an informational meeting. You can ask any question and negotiate psychotherapy fee.

If you have no health insurance or seek a low fee counseling, you may call The United Way toll free # XXXXX (Dial 2-1-1)to find the community mental health centers in your area in which you can get counseling even without health insurance.

Additionally, you may benefit from having a support group for men or women in your area. To find a group therapy or a support group for yourself, contact a local hospital or a clinic by asking if they offer a group for men or women. If you like to find a support group online, check Mental Health America website section ( - Find a group in your area.
The website Daily Strength (www.dailystrength) offers an online support group including depression and anxiety.

Also, a heart-healthy diet like Omega 3 fatty acid may improve your brain functioning and mood. Focus on fruits, vegetables and whole grains. Choose low-fat protein sources, such as fish, lean meat and skinless poultry. Hydrate yourself during daytime.

Physical activity increases blood flow to your whole body, including your brain. This may help improve your mood.
In addition, yoga, biofeedback, acupuncture, and massage therapy may be helpful to improve your mood and feel better.

Other recommendations are:
Avoid excess use of alcohol and drugs.
Sleep in complete darkness and try to be out in bright light during the day.
Spend time in nature weekly
Have pleasurable activities with friends and family.
Choose to listen to sounds that have positive effects on your mood.
Set limits on the amount of time you spend on the internet to avoid information overload.

I hope you get well with all available help.
Please let me know if you have more questions or I have overlooked any. Warm regards,