Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist

Divorce recovery

I went through a divorce 2 years ago after my husband met someone else.I lost everything.I was in school trying to become a nurse and began failing. We lost our house, I have no credit anymore, the house I moved into afterwards to rent was eventually foreclosed on.I tried to date someone that I went to school with and he cheated on me too. I have been unable to find work for almost 2 years because of a knee injury I received while I was working at the hospital.I feel like I am steadily going down hill, emotionally and physically.I have no insurance and no resources.I am always sad and I used to be happy all the time, I do not even recognize myself.I am almost 50 years old and I do not know how to start over.I am physically unable to do much and I am emotionally drained.I feel like God and the world have turned their back on me.Is there any way to ever be me again??I have also gained about 80 pounds and I sleep all day long.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for writing in here.
I'm sorry to hear about what you went through.
It sounds like you went through stressful situations - divorce, your husband's betrayal, housing difficulty, and a knee injury.
You used to be happy all the time. But, now you are sad and worried about your future.
I can imagine how sad and worried you must have been about these incidents. You have been dealing with very challenging situations.
Yes, it's possible for you to be happy again.
You may need ongoing support and advice from the people you can trust.
For example, you may work with a counselor/psychotherapist or a life coach to handle your anxiety and sadness whenever these emotions arise, and take constructive steps to change your current life situations.
You can search a licensed psychotherapist & a life coach with the specialty on internet- such as the PSYCHOLOGY TODAY website. Go to (http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/ppc/prof_search.php?iorb=4764) and enter your zip code and optional category of specialty such as anxiety or life coaching. Read psychotherapists’ profile to see if he or she specializes in Life coaching or Cognitive-behavior therapy. You may also want to create your mental image of a psychotherapist and a dating coach that you want to work with – Male or female? Old or young? To note, many therapists offer initial consultation for free. So you can see it as an informational meeting. You can ask any question and negotiate psychotherapy fee. You may tell them how much you can afford monthly.

Also, if you need a low fee counseling (not dating coach), you may call The United Way toll free # XXXXX (Dial 2-1-1) to find the community mental health centers in your area where you can get counseling.

Additionally, you may benefit from having a support group for women in your area. To find a group therapy or a support group for herself, contact a local hospital or a clinic by asking if they offer a group for women. If you like to find a support group online, check Mental Health America website section (http://www.mentalhealthamerica.net/go/find_support_group) - Find a group in your area.
The website Daily Strength (www.dailystrength) offers an online support group including divorce, depression and anxiety.

Also, relaxation and Stress reduction techniques such as yoga, meditation, Acupuncture, Guided imagery may help you to reduce the intensity and frequency of anxiety. Self-care is key to your success and health.

You may have to manage your negative feelings, take care of your body/mind, and take practical and useful steps to rebuild your life. Yes, it may be a long-term process. But, it’s not late to be happy again.

Please let me know if you have more questions or I have overlooked any. Warm regards,
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience: PsyD Psychologist