Suzanne, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  LCSW, RN. Mental Health, Relationship & Parenting issues.EMDR, Hypnosis.

ASK SUZANNE - Overall, Im feeling and doing good right now.

ASK SUZANNE - Overall, I'm feeling and doing good right now. Yesterday, I went to a mother's day family gathering. Everything was ok. One of my sister-in-laws was there who is absolutely gorgeous, a 10 on a scale of 1 to 10. Compared to her, I'm probably a 7.5/8. I know that outward beauty is not everything, that what is in the heart and mind matter a lot too. I just can't help but to compare myself to those who are gorgeous and feel less than. Can you help with this? Thanks, Jen
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Suzanne replied 4 years ago.
It might help to take a lesson from watching Hollywood stars to remind yourself that looks aren't everything, and life isn't a contest.
Jennifer Anniston is absolutely gorgeous...and Brad Pitt left her. The number of stars who appear to have everything and then end up having miserable lives is endless.Just think Marilyn Monroe..

Yes, there will always be people who are more gorgeous than you are. And there will always be people who are not as attractive as you are. That doesn't say anything about the relative worth of any of the people. A person can be beautiful to look at, but also be shallow, self-centered, etc.

Will you teach your son that someone who looks better than he does IS better than him? I doubt why torture yourself making comparisons?

These differences in looks are out of your control---remember the Serenity Prayer:
God, give me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The Courage to change the things I can,
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Make this your mantra when you find yourself making comparisons!