TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

Happy Mothers Day Kate! I hope your day is wonderful and filled

Happy Mother's Day Kate! I hope your day is wonderful and filled with many blessings.

I am trying to enjoy the day myself but the funny thing about emotions and painful memories, they don't take a vacation for special events and/or days.

My daughter and i went to church this morning after I was served breakfast in bed! It was nice. Later we will be having dinner with my parents and my sister's family. It should be nice. I don't have much of an appetite but I will try to eat something and fine enjoyment in the small things.

I have much to be grateful for and I will keep reminding myself that. But my feelings are harsh. Right after seeing my therapist on Friday, I went to a store and took stuff again. When my therapist asked me if having someone with me when I went into stores would help, I said no. Proof of this is so embarassing when yesterday after bike riding with my daughter we stopped at a convenience store and I took something there too. I seem to have no control over it. It makes me feel so ashamed and I tend to berate myself because of it. I deserve it but it isn't easy to handle at times.

Well I hope your day is nice.

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 4 years ago.
Hello Kathy,

Happy Mother's Day to you too! I bet your daughter makes it such a special day. It sounds like you have had a nice time so far.

It's ok that you still are coping with your symptoms and stealing. Now that you have let the cat out of the bag so to speak, you may feel some relief. But the rest of the problem still needs dealt with.

People often confess deep secrets expecting the problem to go away. What they find instead is that the problem either stays as it was or gets worse. That is because you have developed this behavior for a reason and that reason has yet to be dealt with. And while you can feel relieved someone else knows about what you are suffering with, confessing does not cure the problem. Only working through the issue in therapy will do that.

What you may want to do is take this in small steps. As a first step, try learning what you can about Kleptomania. You can't help yourself stop the behavior if you don't know why you have it and what it means. Understanding the symptoms and the possible causes will help you. Try this site to start with:

Also, ask your therapist for resources so you can learn what you can. It will help you work to control your symptoms yourself and help you progress faster in therapy.

Just to let you know, I am out of town today through Wednesday. I will still be checking in on JA, I just won't be on my regular schedule.

Enjoy the rest of your day!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Oh my gosh Kate! We were having a nice dinner out when my attacker walks into the restaurant with his family and is seated right behind me. Of course my attacker is also my daughter's father so she was no happy either.

My day fills ruined. He stared right into my eyes....almost through me it felt. I hope this doesn't stir things up for him. My mom told me it was okay for us to leave even though we hadn't eaten our food. We did and now are home. Seeing him like that makes me feel so sick. I can't believe how scared and upset I am. I need to calm down some. It was just horrible seeing him and his family. I feel so sick about it.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I've had to take extra clonazapan to calm down. It isn't working though. What else can I do? I've tried journaling and distraction but those are not working either.

How do I get myself emotions back in check and have more control over them. Right now they just feel like they are taking over me. This is just so upseting and sad for me right now All the memories and emotions of what he did to me are coming back full force.

I'm sorry to hear that you saw your attacker. It's going to bring back the feelings you used to have and have worked through already.

It may not seem to help, but going back to what you used to do to help yourself will work. It just takes some time working it through.

You can also contact your therapist. Let her know what happened and see if she can fit you in. It's important you get a lot of support right now.

Also, review the symptoms and options for people with PTSD. It will help you feel less alone.

And consider reaching out with support groups. That will also give you the support you need.