Anna
Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.
20023641

FOR ANNA ONLY-same old issue, new situation. My stepdaughter

FOR ANNA ONLY-same old issue, new situation. My stepdaughter is having a baby.I was very excited at first.Now there is overwhelming evidence of our exclusion from this event. My stepdaughter asked her dad what grandparent name I preferred. We are jewish and there is only one name, 'bubbie'. Daughter was quick to add 'my mother wants to be called 'bubbie'as if she has a copyright on it. Then her baby shower-I get an invite sent by their mother. I found this in poor taste.It was my stepson actually hosting the shower. He could have called or emailed me.Also treating me like just a 'guest'instead of their father's wife. I did not go because I didn't know a lot of the people and walking in by myself with NPD'er there was more than I could handle.I have made the decision to step away-not from a place of anger but I can't fight it anymore.I am almost certain my stepkids suffer at the hands of their mother but I have no control over that because we aren't allowed into their daily lives. Visits are all party manners. And the references to their mother (and her boyfriend,& her cats,dog,etc)are more than I can handle. Stepdaughter has revealed a few things to their Dad,so I know what they must go through.Please help me to feel better about this.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I am a Moderator for this topic. I sent your requested Professional a message to follow up with you here, when they are back online. If I can help further, please let me know. Thank you for your continued patience.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. I apologize for the misunderstanding. My inquiry to customer support had nothing to do with Anna not responding right away. When I clicked on Anna's link, it said she was 'online and ready to answer your question'. After posting my question I waited awhile and checked her bio and her status was 'offline'. I sent an email to customer support asking why I was given the impression she was online when in fact she was not. I was not expecting an immediate response but was given the impression it was forthcoming. Customer support failed to respond to my inquiry, instead giving the impression that I was somehow upset over the delay, bringing you into the situation. That was not the case at all. I am happy to wait for Anna to review my question. After all, it is Sunday, and Mother's Day to boot!
Hi, I am sorry for any confusion and I thank you greatly for your continued patience ;-)
Expert:  Anna replied 2 years ago.
Hello & Welcome to Just Answers.

I'm so sorry you're still going through this mess. What a painful situation, and it keeps getting thrown into your face. Sometimes these people are like a vapor that you just can't get away from - no matter what.

I like what you said about "party manners" - it's a perfect stance to take in this. Remember that no matter what you do or how you do it, in this case there isn't a right enough way to change her pathology. It's not a normal relationship where give & take is considered. It's a panicky desperation for attention and control.

I think you should just continue to live and act as you can be proud of without regard for how any of these people receive it. The normal laws of cause & effect just get jumbled. Hurting people hurt people. Throwing the energy of your pain into the mix won't help. Honoring your pain within yourself will help you heal from the continued hurtful situations.

Again, I'm sorry you're having to face this. So many people would love to have the compassion and help that you offer.

Anna
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

As always, I love the depth of your understanding.

Could you explain more in about about living proud, honoring my pain, etc. so I have a grasp on it. And you refer to it not being a normal relationship. Do you mean the relationship between my stepkids and their mother? Thank you so much. I will be sure to 'accept' when I get your reply.

Expert:  Anna replied 2 years ago.
Thanks!

You have continued to make very generous attempts at relationships with the step kids, and have been rebuffed in painful ways. Honoring your pain means to remember that and to give yourself credit for both the offers you've made and the hurt of the continued rejection.

You should be proud of how you've handled this. You've come back again and again with grace and wisdom. It really is something to be proud of in this world of throw-away relationships.

Not normal is the relationship between the step kids and their mom. That woman is just beastly self centered and the kids don't really have a defense against her.

When I wrote:
Remember that no matter what you do or how you do it, in this case there isn't a right enough way to change her pathology. It's not a normal relationship where give & take is considered. It's a panicky desperation for attention and control.
I was speaking of their mother's pathology. It twists everything.

Please do the world a favor and keep giving your love & compassion to people out there who are grateful to accept it - you clearly have a good head on your shoulders and something worth giving.

Take care!
Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience: Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Anna, you speak to the heart and soul of this sad situation and you have made me feel so much better.

Is stepping back the best or maintaining the 'party manners' which to me means a superficial relationship. It is like unrequited love. If there is nothing reciprocated, is it not best to move on? I hate the brick wall and it doesn't appear that it is coming down any time soon.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I sent you a reply several days ago. Would you be so kind as to respond. I would very much like to put this to rest:

Expert:  Anna replied 2 years ago.

Hey, I'm sorry I didn't see this when I checked back.

I think that you need to do whatever fits for you in the period of time that you're facing. When you're feeling strong and invulnerable and want to move closer, do so. But during the seasons that you've just had enough of all the pain, move back and stay there. With a new baby on the way, I think the brick wall will be there more often than not, so right now is probably a better time to step away and heal your wounds. You know that you've done more than your share of compromising and "understanding" their circumstances. I think moving on for right now will serve you better.

Take good care of yourself, and again, I'm sorry for leaving you hanging with your question.

Anna

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you so much Anna. I know you have a life outside of 'Just Answer' but when you have only the internet is communication you can never be sure it's received at the other end.

As always, your responses are insightful and empathetic. You never disappoint!