Ask Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC Your Own ...

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

Could I have schizophrenia? I have been diagnosed with Borderline

Customer Question

Could I have schizophrenia? I have been diagnosed with Borderline Personality disorder, but i dont believe this explains my symptoms fully. A month ago i believed i was being experimented on my psychology students at night and they were planting a chip in my brain to monitor my thoughts and actions. Also i believed people were robots, i.e. not real people, and they were evil. So i carried a knife with me and was going to stab the robots. But i was admitted to hospital to protect me from others. Currently im terrified im going to instantaineously combust. But something that isnt part of my illness is worrying me. An electrician came a few weeks ago and inserted cameras into the corners of the rooms, and has a surveillance room set up underneath my house, and is watching me. On the cameras is a button which removes my thoughts, as he wants to keep track of my thoughts. I dont know if i should report it to the police. He cant get away with this. Id appreciate your help, to see if ive been wrongly diagnosed or if i could have a psychotic illness alongside BPD.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Rafael M.T.Therapist replied 1 year ago.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Hello, I am Rafael. Thanks for asking your question - I'm here to support you. (Information posted here is not private or confidential but public).

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I am very sorry to know you have been undergoing these overwhelming symptoms.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

The symptoms you report here, just as you think, are not typical of BPD but psychotic symptoms.

Customer:

Hello Rafael.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Please, you need to get support from your family and get back to the clinic where you received support. Both, psychotherapy and medication are necessary, and you should keep receiving as much support as necessary.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

You are very young person, thus your chances for rehabilitation are much higher as long as you receive adequate support. Do you live alone?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Hello?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I see you chose not to interact, that's OK. Please I just want to confirm that your fears appear to accurate.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

You are describing experiences and symptoms pointing at delusions and hallucinations, both typical of Schizophrenia. I see you have been hospitalized and got medication and counseling and have a case manager, then please get in touch with them ASAP and contact family an let them know how you are feeling, for them to help you.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

If you feel suicidal or like it happened before, that somebody could harm you and trying to protect yourself as you did before hospitalization, please call 911 and let them know what you are experiencing to get immediate support.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Hope you get well with the support you need and deserve.

Expert:  Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

When someone experiences symptoms like you have, schizophrenia is one possible diagnosis. Here are some other possible diagnosis:

Delusional disorder- in order to be diagnosed with this disorder, Schizophrenia would have to be ruled out. The symptoms for Delusional disorder are:

Delusions and/or hallucinations

Feeling irritable

Behavior is normal beyond the delusions

Another possible diagnosis is Paranoid personality Disorder. The symptoms for that is:

Reoccuring suspicions without evidence

Bearing grudges

Feeling that your reputation is being attacked by others

Preoccupation with the loyalty of others and trustworthiness

And lastly, you could have Schizophrenia. Here is a link to help you determine if you have the symptoms:

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/schizophrenia/what-are-the-symptoms-of-schizophrenia.shtml

It is important to see your doctor to have an evaluation done to determine which diagnoses you may have. There is treatment including medication that can make it easier to manage the symptoms.

I hope this has helped you,

Kate

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.