Heidi LPC
Heidi LPC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Licensed Professional Counselor

My mother was diagnosed 3 years ago with dementia, she showed

My mother was diagnosed 3 years ago with dementia, she showed signs of memory decline. I took her to a medical doctor, and he prescribed Aricept and Namenda, and diagnose her with Dementia. Now 3 years on in to this diagnoses, he now says that she has cognitive dsyfunction, because she still functions normally otherwise. What is going here? Should I have taken my mother to a psychiatrist or a brain specialist, and not a medical doctor? Has she been possibly improperly diagnose?

Heidi LPC :

Neurologists specialize in this type of situation and can do more intensive testing to determine the physical causes of memory issues. It wouldn't hurt to make an appointment with a neurologist in your area in an attempt to get a more solid diagnosis and testing process. I wish you all the best as you work your way through this problem, and I would love to hear if this new Dr. gives you the information you were looking for!! Have a good day!

Thank You Heidi, what a good recommendation, for my Mom.

You are so very welcome, and good luck! Thank you for using the site!!

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here