Steven Olsen
Steven Olsen, Therapist
Experience:  More than twenty years of expertise in counseling, psychological diagnosis and education
45885103

I have a daughter with bipolar disorder she is on seraquel

I have a daughter with bipolar disorder she is on seraquel and had lithum added. She is diet consisciense of her weight and wants to go off her meds. I do under stand you can gain weight on the lithum however my question is if you exercise and diet correctly can you lose the weight.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Steven Olsen replied 4 years ago.

Yes, lithium can impact weight gain. However, the truth is that at the age of 21, and being female,your daughter can maintain or even lose weight while being on the drug. True, it is more of a challenge, but many of my younger clients who take lithium are thin. They must watch their diets carefully and exercise, and some receive support through weight watchers and similar, but to encourage your daughter, yes...this is more than possible.

There are many drugs that treat this issue, but I suspect your daughter has been through many of them. Olanzapine (Zyprexa), Aripiprazole (Abilify), Risperidone (Risperdal)
Ziprasidone (Geodon) and Clozapine (Clorazil) are in this group as are some of the antidepressants. But, lithium is still a gold standard for many, and this naturally occurring salt is nothing short of miraculous in stabilizing moods in many cases.

No, it is not easy to maintain or lose weight while on lithium, but it is more than possible with diet, exercise and support. Some also (with physician's approval) find that Omega 3 Fatty Acids help with weight gain and mood stabilization. It is not completely researched, but It is worth exploring. Steven