Alicia_MSW
Alicia_MSW, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Specializing in mental health counseling
65143460

My brain never stops, I space out all the time, its so humiliating

Customer Question

My brain never stops, I space out all the time, it's so humiliating that my husband actually believe I have hearing loss because instead of saying to him I heard everything you just said but at the same time I heard nothing can you please say that again
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Alicia_MSW replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Alicia. I'm happy to help with your question. I'd just like to get a bit more information from you before I provide my answer.

Do you feel like you're experiencing excessive worry or are you obsessing about something specific? How long have you been feeling this way? Is it that you are so distracted by your thoughts that you're unable to pay attention to what your husband is saying? Is the problem occurring all the time?

Thanks for the information, and I will reply as soon as I hear from you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's that my mind is thinking about so many diff things that I just can't focus on what he's saying or anybody for that matter, I'm easily distracted and so forgetful but I always have good intentions I just seem to forget
Thank you for the information, and I can certainly understand how frustrating this is for the both of you. I can't tell you for sure what's going on based on the information provided on a website like this, but I can give you some more information about what it could be, and steps you might want to consider to work on this issue.

One possibility is that you're simply experiencing an overload of stress. Your mind is worrying about too many different things at once and you simply can't process everything that's going on in your head and pay attention to what's going on around you at the same time. If this is the case, engaging in stress management activities (such as trying to cut back, getting support, try meditation or yoga, listen to a guided visualization audio program, exercise) may help.

It could be a form of adult attention-deficit disorder (ADD). We cannot provide a diagnosis on this website, so this is just for informational purposes, but it's something to consider. You might feel like you can't pay attention to anything or that you're easily distracted by any external stimulus. You can read more about that here:
http://www.helpguide.org/mental/adhd_add_adult_symptoms.htm

Another possibility is that you're suffering from an anxiety disorder. An anxiety disorder can cause excessive worry, stress and obsessional or uncontrollable thoughts. So you might have trouble sleeping, for example, because you feel like you can't shut off your mind, or you might find yourself distracted during the day because you're worrying and thinking about things that you feel like you "shouldn't" be worrying about. You can read more about anxiety disorders here:
http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/anxiety-disorders/introduction.shtml

If you think it might be one of these options, a good course of action is to schedule an appointment with a licensed mental health care professional, such as a licensed clinical social worker or a psychologist. They will conduct an in-depth evaluation to determine exactly what is going on, and discuss with you the best course of action for treating the problem. Sometimes, medication can help - other times, it's a matter of making lifestyle changes (certain medications or supplements can cause symptoms such as you're describing, for example, stress, as I mentioned earlier, can also play a role), and psychotherapy may help to teach you skills to change the underlying cause of the problem. So, for example, if you are experiencing an anxiety disorder, therapy can help you develop coping skills or help you to uncover the real cause of your anxiety and help you overcome this obstacle. You can find a therapist in your area on this website:
http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/

Generally speaking, meditation, prayer, writing down your thoughts in a journal, talking to a trusted friend or loved one - or a therapist, can provide relief from these symptoms. But if there is something more serious going on, then talking to a mental health professional will also help detect that and let you know what steps to take next.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.