Heidi LPC
Heidi LPC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Licensed Professional Counselor

Hi, I am only 30 years old, married with an 18 month old and

I am only 30 years old, married with an 18 month old and another baby on the way. My problem lies in the fact that I have no libido. The only reason my husband and I have sex is because I know that's what he needs. I hate every minute of the actual deed and I know my husband knows it. I'm afraid I will lose my marriage if I can't make a change. Any recommendations?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Heidi LPC replied 2 years ago.

Heidi LPC :

Hi there! I hope to be of some assistance to you! You are probably very stressed and tired out, given your pregnancy and little one... is this feeling new over the past year or two, or have you always felt this way?

Customer:

Stressed and tired....yes! Ha! However, I have felt this way for years - probably more than 5 or so. It started around the time I started antidepressants, which I know can cause low libido. I've talked to several doctors and we can't seem to find one that works for both the depression/anxiety and the libido problems effectively.

Heidi LPC :

Ahh... so the pills are probably the culprit here, then...

Heidi LPC :

And, the real problem is the depression and anxiety...

Heidi LPC :

Have you tried any counseling, progressive relaxation, or other techniques to try to get past those?

Customer:

I have not - I've considered counseling, but am afraid I won't be able to afford it.

Heidi LPC :

Do you have any idea what is triggering the depression & anxiety?

Customer:

No, I think if I were to really sit down and think about it, I could figure it out...but I've never done that. I've had self-esteem issues all of my life. I also suffer from migraines on occasion. My mom and aunt are also treating their depression/anxiety thru medications

Heidi LPC :

I see... once you face the issues that are making you fearful or sad, or even possibly angry underneath it all, you won't need these pills anymore... and you will be able to have a happier sex life, and subsequently a happier marriage! It may be worth some introspection; anxiety can be controlled through learning progressive muscle relaxation, and there are some great, free, guided relaxation videos on you-tube you can check out. It is just teaching you how to relax your muscles, one by one, to find peace... (which is what pills do!) And, as for depression, exercise increases feel-good chemicals in the body, endorphins, serotonin, and this is what pills do, as well!! So, a little stress management, a little walk in the sunshine and maybe some talks with someone you trust, and you could be off the pills in a heartbeat!

Heidi LPC :

Give this one a try... and see what happens! (After the baby is asleep!!)

Customer:

Will do - thank you!

Heidi LPC :

You are very welcome... I wish you all the best! Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with; just access this chat anytime in the "my questions" tab at the top of your screen! Is there anything else for tonight?

Customer:

I think that will be all, thank you again

Heidi LPC :

Ok! Get some rest!! :-)

Heidi LPC, Psychotherapist
Experience: Licensed Professional Counselor
Expert:  Heidi LPC replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.