Suzanne, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  LCSW, RN. Mental Health, Relationship & Parenting issues.EMDR, Hypnosis.

ASK SUZANNE, I Think I may have self-esteem issues or issues

ASK SUZANNE, I Think I may have self-esteem issues or issues about feeling good about myself. The blows from my in-laws really hurt me. I am proud of myself though for figuring out a way to deal with it (just be polite). My husband at times puts me down too, I stand up to him. But I wish he would see more of the good i do instead of seeing the bad i do (ie i left a coffee cup upstairs). could you help me feel better about myself? Thanks, Jen
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Suzanne replied 4 years ago.

The trick to feeling better about one's self is to be secure enough about who you are that other people's opinions about you don't really matter to you. Usually when people say stuff about other people it has more to do with THEM than with the other person. Some people, when they feel bad about themselves, put others down so they can feel better. Your husband's been struggling...and noticing that other people aren't perfect and picking on them may make him feel a little bit better. That's why it's so important to be your own judge of how you're doing.

When you're feeling really good about yourself, you tend to see others in a positive light. It works that way for feeling bad, too. I think that's what you've been experiencing from others.

So when other people seem to be offering negative opinions, remind yourself that

"opinions are like noses....everybody's got one" and opinions are NOT facts.