Dr_Anderson
Dr_Anderson, Doctor
Experience:  Psychiatrist
66203730

Hello - I have been taking Sertraline for 50 and only had 2

Customer Question

Hello - I have been taking Sertraline for 50 and only had 2 pills - Just took a break from the first before I had another. I have been taken off it since I didn't need it anymore - and I have got side effects of clicking throat and hot and cold sweats at night and vivid dreams - I just need to know an approximation of when the side effects will leave - seems a bit too soon to have such side effects when I only took 2 pills.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Howard Wise replied 2 years ago.
I suggest you post this question again and write "for a psychiatrist" at the beginning. That will ensure that physician will respond. If you don't do that, somebody without medical training may try to advise you
Expert:  Dr_Anderson replied 2 years ago.
Greetings - to make sure I understand, you took 50 mg? For how long? I want to make sure I understand the dosing you have had and for how long.

Regards,

Dr. Anderson
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I took one pill when I first received it then stopped for about 2 weeks cos I didn't know if I needed it, then took a final one on Monday and haven't used it since coming off. So just 2 that's all.
Ok, thank you for clarifying. It sounds like you had an adverse reaction to the medicine, bordering on but not quite serotonin syndrome. Serotonin syndrome is characterized by muscle aches, including spasms, confusion, altered autonomic function (such as blood pressure, heart rate, sweating), and anxiety. The medication itself can cause a lot of the symptoms you mentioned without it being serotonin syndrome. But, if you do start to feel confused or cloudty mentally, I'd advise you see your doctor as quickly as possible to get evaluated.

Presuming the symptoms you have do not progress or worsen, you should expect to get relief in the next couple days. I know, that sounds like a lot, but given the severity of your reaction to the medication, it is possible the dreams and other symptoms will persist. But, they should go away! If they do not go away in the next 2-3 days, definitely see your doctor for follow-up.

And I'd probably avoid sertraline in the future!

Hope this helps.

Please let me know if you have any further questions - and please click on the accept button if this was useful! Regards, XXXXX XXXXX
Dr_Anderson, Doctor
Experience: Psychiatrist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The dreams aren't bad at all, just very vivid. I hope they don't turn into nightmares. I haven't suffered any confusion or anything - pretty much just those.

Thank you for calming my nerves!
You are welcome! Best wishes to you, and please let me know if I may be of further service!

Regards,

Dr. Anderson
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I thought I would update you:

The side effects are still there but I still have a few more days left I guess before it completely disappears. I have noticed it gives me trapped wind and it's not nice after a meal, so i'm going to find it hard to keep up with the 3 meals aday routine.I forgot to tell you I was also getting excessive saliva; but the cold and hot sweats are no longer an issue. I really hope this passes. I am not sure if it's causing me neck pain or shoulder pain because I have just been through a calf muscle tare injury which I finally recovered from after almost 8 weeks so I have been stiff and unable to stand for very long - which I was hoping you would be able to advice me on if walking is good for stiff clicking shoulders which will help it ago away.

Thank you again for your help.
Greetings!

I'm sorry the symptoms are still there, but they should pass soon, as you mentioned. A lot of what you have, though sounds very unusual for sertraline exposure/withdrawal, so I'm wondering if your primary care doctor has had a chance to look at you? If all of these symptoms (trapped wind, excessive saliva, neck/shoulder pain, clicking shoulder) appeared only after the sertraline, we have to presume it was the cause or it was present at the same time as another problem - an odd coincidence, but still a possibility. So, having your general doctor take a look would be a good idea, to be on the safe side.

Walking is certainly going to be god for your general health and all your joints, presuming there is no absolute reason you should not do so. Make sure it is an even pace, on even ground - few hills, rocks, sand, etc. Also, for the shoulder, try "conicals." For this exercise, you lean to the side so your clicking shoulder hangs down. GENTLY move your arm in a clockwise motion, then reverse to counter clockwise for a few turns. Let gravity do most of the work. This should help to release the shoulder. If this is very painful to do, definitely see your general doctor to get your shoulder looked at.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Dr. Anderson
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The clicking is from the ripped calf muscle strain. This was way before Setraline. Anything clicking is from my muscle strain. The only things that are bothering me is the saliva and gas and throat clicking. I hope that shows its still Sertraline?
Yes, that sounds more like the sertraline. Thank you for clarifying! I was getting a little concerned something else was going on, but the saliva, throat, and gas sound like the sertraline - and therefore should pass (no pun intended where the gas is concerned) in the next few days. Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Dr. Anderson
Dr_Anderson, Doctor
Experience: Psychiatrist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Made my day, thanks :)
My pleasure to help. :)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Another question:

I was just wondering how long muscle stiffness in the neck and shoulders last if there is a period for it? And do I have to keep walking etc to get rid of it?

Also my knee: sometimes when I lean back on it my knee tendon that supports the knee cap made a huge long clicking sound when I ripped my calf muscle and now and again if I lean my leg backwards when walking it does a low sounding click which doesn't hurt but doesn't feel right. The patella I think it's called?

If you need a better disruption let me know. :)
Greetings,

The stiffness due to the medication should not last over 2 weeks (although in rare cases it can). While you do not have to keep walking to get rid of it, I would recommend that you continue to do so, just to keep things limber.

Regarding your knee, it sounds like the calf injury has had an impact on your knee, if it was not also injured in the original problem that led to the calf tear. Keep in mind, when a person injures a part of their body, other parts kick in to pick up the slack. With the calf injury, your knee has had to do more work than usual, so it is going to be prone to injuries, typically overuse injuries. Just speculation without seeing your knee, but my thoughts are you may have a bit of patellar tendonitis. Over-the-counter anti-inflammatory agents, such as ibuprofen, are good for that.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Dr. Anderson
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I didn't think the Sertraline would have caused it when I typed this. I thought it might be how I slept at night when I couldn't lay on my back due to my calf hurting for weeks. I'll keep up the exercise :)

My doctor said its just clicking that will pass on with exercise but it's hard for anyone to know without being me to witness it. It doesn't hurt at all, still get foot pain from walking too much. That's like you say my body taking over the damaged muscles job. I hope there isn't any tendinitis or if so I hope it'll go soon as possible!
It ought to go away, as long as you don't get too rough on it! :)

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Happy to help out!

Regards,

Dr. Anderson
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I finally thought of the hopefully final question for a whole :)
When I go into town or museums I can't stand for very long since the calf injury. My body tells me to keep moving. If I do stand still for a while my shins might start aching and it hurts. I was wondering is that because the calf is still weak?

Thank you again!
Sort of - not so much that the calves are weak as that your center of balance has shifted forward, to relieve the calf muscles. With the weight shifted forward, your knees and shins do more work - and thus end up getting sore! So, the solution is the make sure you shift your weight around, trying to "even it out" so your shins and knees don't do all the work.

Hope this helps!
Dr_Anderson, Doctor
Experience: Psychiatrist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you again! I've woken up with ear pain at night which sertraline has just given me as a side effect. It hurts for a few minutes then goes away :( I hope it doesn't get any worse.
I'll accept your next answer.

Thank you again!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
All sorted, thank you :)
Greetings! Did the ear pain go away?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Pressure put on the ear from dreams, no pain last night. I need softer pillows. I spoke to a pharmacist today. She didn't know that throat clicking was a cause of Sertraline and asked if I had a cold from the sore throat. She said give it another week for the symptoms to go but she said least its better then it was. Damn it feels like its going to be living with me. It's not anxiety because I'm not scared anymore just want my life back properly :) so no worse symptoms as yet.
I'm glad the ear feels better. I agree, sounds like you need a new pillow! The pharmacist does have a good point, but either way I'm pretty confident these symptoms will go away soon. And, as long as they are starting to get better or go away, I'd focus on that part more - it's part of what we refer to as, "practicing for being well."

Keep up the great work, and please let me know if I may be of further service.

Regards,

Dr. Anderson
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
http://www.drugtalk.com/zoloft/drugthread.php/t-131407.html?highlight=

" I have taken it before. I have always experienced varying degrees of nausea when starting new anti-depressant medication, but with Zoloft, it only lasted a few days, and was much milder to what I have experienced with other medications.

The worst side-effect I can remember from Zoloft is a constant click in my throat and "cotton mouth".

Everyone is different, though, and I would gather that symptoms will vary from person to person. If you are still experiencing nausea after a week, or if it is bad enough to cause actual vomiting, visit either your prescribing GP or a chemist for anti-nausea medication or an alternate anti-depressant.

Remember, no advice you receive here is as good as a visit to the doctor. Good luck. "

This is just two people who have had the same medication who have witnessed it. It's a rare find, and hardly researchable so it's understandable if people haven't learnt about it. If people are suffering from it, then it's going to go. :)
Exactly! And the fact they talk about their problem with the past tense means they got over their side effects. :)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Excellent news! Thank you :) My throat is very sore but I am ignoring all the symptoms - been out for a 4 hour walk today to get over my calf injury and to think of other things. I am just continuing to get over it.

I shall let you know how it goes , thanks again!
You are welcome! Best wishes, and please do let me know how things are going. (and please provide feedback about our time to date!)

Regards,

Dr. Anderson
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Mind if I accept the answer once the symptom has past? It's getting expensive if I accept every good reply as much as I would like to because you've been awesome but I just can't afford to accept every answer, so when all is good I'll accept the final one :) If that's ok?
Certainly! Please keep me in the loop. :)

Regards,

Dr. Anderson
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
After my 4 hour walk in town I got home and rested then went for another quick down my drive which is not that steep.
I had made it down the bottom the I heard a huge crunch noise from my left knee which is also the calf injured knee. The joint noise was so loud but didn't hurt at all. I was holding myself back from walking too fast down the road. Do you think the joints were going back into place? It wasn't like any click. It was like squeezing a plastic bottle noise twice. Since I got back my heel and back of ste hurting again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I think it's a stress fracture in the foot. I have in the middle of my foot and that must have been where the noise came from. I had this pain before, hurts when I rest it and putting weight on it.
Well, on the bright side, at least the stress fracture is not a side effect of the sertraline - but still, get it looked at to make sure that is all it is and no casting is required!
Dr_Anderson, Doctor
Experience: Psychiatrist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I just need to query one thing. I've had aching wrist since I stopped swimming from the calf injury with the constant breadt stroke. I just wanted to know why it hurts when I carry boxes or things even usually my phone. I get wrist clicks too. I thought sprains only lasted a few weeks. This has gone on for over8 weeks.
Doesn't much, but like the calf feels uncomfy.
Though sometimes I normally think it makes my hands go numb in the morning. It's a kind of stiff warm sensation when they ate active, might just be muscle pain from all the compensating from the calf. Any ideas?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I still have the symptoms of Sertraline withdrawal. I'm still giving it the month to go away before taking the problem to the doctor.
Greetings!

What other symptoms do you have in the wrist? Clicking sensations or sounds in the wrist (if there has been no trauma, like a break) are usually a sign of inflammation. This could be tendonitis, carpal tunnel syndrome, or a cartilage tear, as the most common problems. Really the only way to know is to do an examination of the injured wrist - the treatments for these problems differ somewhat, so knowing the correct injury is important.

With your hand going numb in the morning, that is fairly common for carpal tunnel syndrome. Treatments include conservative measures, such as splinting, all the way to more invasive ones like injections or even surgery.

Which sertraline withdrawal symptoms do you still have? We should make sure that is what they still are.

Regards,

Dr. Anderson
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sertraline symptoms are still the throat clicking issue and being woken up 3 or 4 times a night. I still have saliva coming through but hardly as much.

Well if I hold onto something like a phone with two fingers and squeeze I feel a vibration
In the arms which sort of feelings like vibrating bones just in the kneecap where you put your hand over the cap and feel bones vibrating. Testing my arm on the chair texting this I can feel a spasm.
Sertraline does say about muscle spasms and aches as a side effect. I've even got major stiffness
Which is stiffness in the muscle which usually pulls on my walk and feels like something is popping out of place and makes me judder. I can't really say if any of this is sertraline. I just know I still have symptoms which I never experienced before. The numb hand has stopped for a while. I think I must have laid on it. I don't think the wrist hurts normally, unsure. Just putting up with right calf stiffness from the compendating of the left one which hurts a little.

Hope this is the right information!
Yes, I agree with you - the hand issue does sound most consistent with carpal tunnel, so the next time you see your doctor please sure to have him/her check it out. I'm not so sure that the muscle spasm in your legs is due to the sertraline (although the throat and sleep issues sounds like they are). It may be that the leg muscle cramps and discomfort are independent of the sertraline, but started at roughly the same time.

It may be necesary to have some physical therapy on the leg, especially if there is tendonitis. When you have your doctor check out for carpal tunnel, I'd recommend letting him/her also do a knee evaluation to get to the bottom of what is going on there.

Regards,

Dr. Anderson
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I went to accidents and emergencies last night. I was told there is nothing wrong with the leg.
I didn't get an x-ray which I wanted. Does the wrist problem get worse or heal later if untreated? I will have it seen to.
On the last post it should be * Just like in the kneecap *

Typically carpal tunnel will get worse or stay the same if not addressed. Not worse in the sense of paralysis, but pain or numbness in the hand, which could lead into "dropsies" where you drop objects held onto.

Unless they did a thorough knee exam, I'd put more stock in what your main medical doctor has to say. In the emergency setting, the concern is what will kill or cripple, so thorough evaluations are not usually done (because they are not called for in an emergency setting).
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Doctors tomorrow. I hope I don't need surgery!
I read on the NHS site and I do suffer from almost all of those.
Breaststroke must have put so much pressure on my fingers.
Thank you for everything so fat :)
My pleasure! Please let me know how the visit goes. :)

Regards,

Dr. Anderson
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you think it could also be a shoulder tare - when I look down for a a few minutes then look up it does a click plus my shoulder hurts - and when I move it in a round circle I hear all sorts of clicking noises from the ball joint.
It certainly could be - or shoulder tendonitis.Clicking is usually the sign of inflammation or damage.

So, the shoulder, the leg, and the hand...you have a lot for your doctor to examine .:)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Doctor said its the wrong fingers for carpal tunnel.
I tried to ask him about my shoulders but he said keep to one subject.
He told me sertraline side effects shouldn't last that long
And that throat clicking is normal after he checked my throat.
I really don't think I explained well or he couldn't help. He tested my fingers.
I think he knew it was a side effect though. I just wish they found something wrong.
It's unconfortable :-/
Which fingers are affected? Typically, it is the thumb, first finger, middle finger, and for some people the ring finger that are impacted by CTS. Ulnar entrapment can lead to the same problems, but in the pinky and ring fingers, typically.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Tiny finger and the two next to it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well actually just the tiny finger and one next to it if I remember correcty.
Sounds more like ulnar tunnel syndrome. Same kind of problem as carpal tunnel, just a different nerve (the ulnar nerve). The problem in that case is usually in or near the inner elbow.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yeah, my elbow has been acting up. What do I do?
Google "Ulnar tunnel recovery exercises." There should be some links to exercises you can do to help relieve the symptoms. Also, routine use of anti-inflammatory medication, such as ibuprofen, can be helpful for a short period of time. If the symptoms do not inprove after two weeks, it may be necessary to work with a physical therapist.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Whew, it's not serious then :)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am using Voltarol
Yes, not too serious, just uncomfortable. :) Voltarol (diclofenac) is a good acute treatment. It can be alternated with ibuprofen or naproxen if desired.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You rock! :)
*lol* You are too kind. :)

Hope this helps! Please let me know if I may be of further service. :)

Regards,

Dr. Anderson
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Starting to get frustrated that I still have the same side effects of sertraline and yet I swear I am developing new symptoms.
I must have a really bad allergic reaction I think :-/
Or, something else and new is coming along! That option has to always be entertained. If it is getting better, even slowly, then you might just have a very extreme sensitivity to it, and thus a prolonged withdrawal. However, if the symptoms remain the same or worsen, this would be very unusual for sertraline withdrawal - other possible causes would need to be explored.

Hang in there!

Regards,

Dr. Anderson
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
1 month today since side effects started. It's time for them to disappear!

Does swallowing with my neck straight or raised upwards cause more stiffness? Which I've said about my neck in earlier post?

Not sleeping with leg elevation anymore :)

Seen to have same nerve problem in right arm too. Doing the things instructeuid though.
Greetings!

Neck position during swallowing ought not to have much bearing on stiffness. It is possible, especially if something swallowed is really hot, cold, or large, that it could be uncomfortable going down, but it should not cause stiffness per se.

Glad the legs are a bit better! You are on the mend, albeit slowly. The right arm nerve issue is likely unrelated to the sertraline. I am glad you are doing the instructed things, and I also hope they include some physical therapy-kind of exercises to help it recover.

Hang in there!

Regards,

Dr. Anderson
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My throat feels very tight - hoping its a sign of repair. It's never felt this tight, ears pop a lot too.

Thank you for your great replies :)
My pleasure to help out. :) When in a time of distress, it is good to know you do not stand alone in your struggles.

Tight throat and ears popping do go together a lot. It might be allergies, or perhaps a "spring cold," but I don't think it is the withdrawal. At least that's some good news! :)

Regards,

Dr. Anderson
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will be if the clicking goes! :)
*lol* True...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
One more thing. So excess saliva is an allergic reaction?
Could be, yes, but it can also be a sign of increased anxiety. Presuming you are not hungry, allergies or anxiety are the most likely candidates.

Regards,

Dr. Anderson
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am eating fine, if not too much now though. Since coming back from family visit the saliva has got worse and I had a toilet problem - I haven't been anxious I think the body is just doing cleaning. I am sticking with blaming the sertraline since all these symptoms started the next day after I had taken the tablet - Maybe they haven't past because I trying to get rid of it too hard but I am certain it's that; but still taking throat sweets just incase! Not saying doctors are wrong just I've never experienced this kind of thing with anything else and I've had swine flu before which went away :-/
It is very sound logic - if you've never had these kinds of things before, and suddenly you do, what changed or is different? In this case, it was the sertraline, so one must consider it as the culprit. Because every person is different, just because something is not "typical" does not make it not "possible."

So, we wait very patiently for this to pass - and avoid Zoloft in the future like the plague!

Hang in there! :)

Regards,

Dr. Anderson
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That's exactly what I would have said :)

Will do so! Apologies for my mood just bothersome effects. Still Austria in 2 days!

Thank you :)
No need to apologize, people don't come here for advice because they feel hunkee-doree, after all.

Have fun in Austria!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
One thing before I go. The shoulder problem isn't related to the trapped nerve in the arm right?
They could be related, yes. but of you have ulnar tunnel syndrome in the arm, it is very unlikely the two are connected in a direct sense.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Got back from holiday; loads of hilly areas and mountains but it has made my legs a lot stronger. I haven't been bothered too much by any of that. The shoulders and and Ulnar were playing up a lot but they lessened off a little. The only thing that seems to stay are the side effects which I haven't thought about just so they don't bother me - seems to be at worst at home. When I am in warm climate like Austria it barely played up - Once that goes I know the throat clicking would have gone too. Great holiday, kept my mind off it. Now I am trying to book an appointment with the doctor to look at my shoulder and tell him that it is the sertraline and it's a prolonged withdrawal. I am going to stand my ground on it this time. :)
Glad you had a refreshing trip! Austria is nice and warm this time of year, but I certainly wouldn't describe it that way in January! Best wishes with your doc, and do please tell me how it went!

Regards,

Dr. Anderson
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have really bad heaviness and stiffness in the shoulders and neck and from what I've read it's a known side effect but doubtful since it's hurting somewhat.
And, if it is a new set of symptoms, it is extremely unlikely to be related to the sertraline.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Agreed. Always think if the body doesn't get it's next dosage each day the symptoms get worse or new ones come along lol.
Bloatedness is so Annoying! Thank you again!
Quite true, bloating is never fun! Your body is finding new ways to protest not being happy with the state of things, so hang in there!

Regards,

Dr. Anderson
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
One other thing I had since the start of sertraline is brain zaps but I never knew it was a side effect till now.good news and proof there! :)
Yes, brain zaps are also a common side effect or withdrawal effect for some of these antidepressants.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
On the leg topic not sertraline:
I woke up in the middle of the night with right leg up and bent and when I went to lower it
I couldn't raiss it hardly at all, had to keep lifting up and down and raised a little more each time.
Do legs do that if kept in a position whilst asleep? It wasn't leg locked.
I finally moved it and got out of bed to a big back click and stretched and went back to bed.

Well, it sounds like it locked up on you, but that is not a typical response if kept in position while asleep.. If there was a click or pop, I wonder if your meniscus is torn. That is fairly common - the leg/knee locks up. It is often not painful when it locks, and sometimes not painful when unlocked, because the meniscus does not have a nerve supply of its own.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No click or pop in knee, just in back, usually happens when I get out up since the injury.

Thanks
Knees locking are not a normal experience, though, so I'd still be concerned for a meniscal injury. If it never happens again, then it is hard to say, but if you notice your knee locking like that more often or in the future, I'd consider having an Orthopedic doctor take a look at it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Weird that it's the leg that is fine though. I'll take your advice and have it checked out.
True, but this has been a rather weird couple months for you, yes? :)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It has but I do have trouble explaining things so might not be that serious.
I can't explain how my leg were. When you lift your legs up in and rest your feet on mattress.
I have a lot of anxiety do I do find answers a lot.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have a lot of anxiety do find answers a lot.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am booked up for the doctors tomorrow. It's a locome doctor so not my own doctor - I researched they can tell you if the meniscal needs treatment so I'm going to hope it's all good news. Also some repair within weeks if not serious, don't think mine is cos my leg never hurts just the an average clicking noise. I'll also ask about the sertraline and my shoulders and urnal tunnel - a 3rd opinion :)
Up to the gills in appointments, let's hope all the experts agree! :)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
One more thing - Would you say it was ok to come to the doctor saying the actual name of the problems or should I say * Pain in wrist/elbow * * Leg * "shoulder/neck* Area. I was told not to use the medical times cos it shows I've been using the internet and getting worked up over it?

And yes, lets hope so :)
I'd go with the second way. When a person brings in their symptoms, then the doctor can come up with a list of possible problems. But, if the patient brings in a diagnosis, it is hard to see anything but that - in a sense, coming in with a diagnosis closes off some diagnostic possibilities.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, thank you, I'll let you know how it went tomorrow!
Outstanding - please do!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok

The good news:

You were correct on the Ulnar nerve and I've been told to give the nerve damage a month or 2 more to repair itself so that's great news :) Also the right leg is fine and doesn't seem to have any problems but I have to ask the Physio when I am due to go to check it out thoroughly just to make sure. It was a female doctor and she said the anxioty could be causing tention in the shoulders and causing the heaviness and pain in my neck.

Bad news:

She didn't think also that it was sertraline causing all these problems.
I have no idea why it came the day after I took it if it isn't that lol.

Thank you for being correct about everything so far :)
Well, thank the Lord for giving me the knowledge and helping me to use it to help you!

Hang in there, it sounds like you're getting some good help. :)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My groin has been hurting me usually after a days walking of putting up with the injury's - I was thinking does a groin strain effect how long you can stand still for because I know the calf certainly does - I still can't stand in queues without my legs feeling too weak to keep me up. I don't think it's a bad one, cos I've had it for a while now. Probably grade 1. Doesn't effect my activities, just not very pleasant.
Yes, the groin can hurt (and the lower back) because those muscle groups are compensating for the other groups that are injured or being favored.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you again lol :) Just checking and making sure nothing else serious is needed to be checked up on since you've done so well so far!
*chuckles* And all this as advice only without the benefit of examining you! Well, praise the Lord we've done well so far. :)P.S. It probably lets you know when I've posted. It lets me know, too, but flags it as undone if I don't reply. In other words, they want us to "have the last word"! :)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I researched that the ulnar nerve entrapment can cause problems with the shoulders and neck so when that clears it's just my leg :) I can't wait for that to go! I am going to accept your next reply; fed up of Just answer emailing everyday to do so.
*lol* Yes, it can get a bit on the inconveniencing side. :) I'm glad things are getting better or at least that we are finding some useful explanations for the problems, though!

Regards,

Dr. Anderson
Dr_Anderson, Doctor
Experience: Psychiatrist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
http://www.ehow.com/how_5749233_treat-nerve-pain-neck-shoulder.html

That's what I researched.
I looked at the site - some very good advice there, although I would probably avoid a neck traction device without the supervision of a physician...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not planning on getting anything. I just thought this nerve damage travels and seems scary, hope it doesn't travel elsewhere. I've had it over 2 months I'd say. Oh had my ulnar tunnel massaged today hurt a lot but should help it!
Yes, the pain in this case is hopefully a good pain - kind of like stretching a sore back. It hurts, but the hurt is a good kind of hurt.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
forgot to ask. I am starting to think the excess saliva is being caused by the neck problem from the nerve.
The saliva causes the clicking. I'm hoping it all goes when repaired. Just a theory.
While it is theoretically possible, if the autonomic nervous system is being activated, that the neck problems are leading to the salivary ones, the centers of the brain that control salivation are a little higher up than where the neck problems are. But, it is a thought!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
About the calf injury - From earlier post you said the body shifts to protect calf and put pressure everywhere else - Do I have to wait for it to shift back or do I have to make it shift back by standing in weird ways or doing exercises?
Well, presuming the underlying injury no longer requires favoring the impacted limb, everything should go back to normal with no special effort required on your part. However, you may find it helpful to do stretching and range of motion exercises (for both limbs!) to help facilitate the process.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ah ok, so not repaired yet but will be a nice surprise when I suddenly stand still for ages without noticing. Still stiff near the kneecap both kneecaps take it in turns.Thanks again!
You're welcome! :)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Another appointment with my Doctor and hopefully I can try to tell him what I have told you. I can't live with excess saliva for month after month. I am going to tell him that the Ulnar has effected the shoulders and neck and caused tightness in the throat. I can tell when I raise my head up and down I can feel my throat being stretched a little which is probably the cause the saliva/clicking issue; although still thinking it might be Sertraline pre-longed withdrawal like you so rightly suggested.
There are ways to dry up the saliva, but of course it involves more medications. Best to see what he has to say and then proceed from there.

(The medication in question, which can work to dry up secretions and also helps with chronic pain, in addition to being good for depression and anxiety is nortriptyline. I can't recall if you have ever been on it or not)

Regards,

Dr. Anderson
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
All anxiety medications have side effects, and so does this one. Have you had any people stress of problems with this one? I don't want to go through anymore problems like I have with zoloft. The doctors only tell me it's normal because they can't sort the issue. You're the only decent doctor along with the lady doctor I saw before! I will ask my doctor about it and see if he thinks it's the way to go though, and thank you :)
Thanks to your help I found a place which has other things that may help if you think any of those would be better for me.
Indeed, I agree that all of these have the possibility of very troublesome side effects, like the Zoloft did for you. So, anything that is chosen needs to be started at a VERY low dose for you, and moved up slowly, to make sure the fit is good.

In the case of nortriptyline (NTP), a typical dose is somewhere around 100-150 mg. But for my patients who are very sensitive to medications, I often start at only 10 mg. Very small dose! But, it helps to prevent bad side effects.

Glad to be of service!

Regards,

Dr. Anderson
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thank you! I shall let you how it went next Tuesday and hopefully I shall have solved one of the annoyances! Thank you again :) I hope you are still ok with being in the loops of all this lol.
Yes, indeed! Thank you for keeping me posted.

Regards,

Dr. Anderson
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The doctor put me on olanzapine. He told me it wasn't an antidepressant but an Antipsychotic, and although it gives me dry mouth to help with my excess saliva , I really can't deal with it on top of the throat problem and excess saliva and zaps I am suffering from currently. I told him I would take them but now I've read about the symptoms and problems it has on people, I don't want to take them and I am seeing him in two weeks.
I made one mistake and told him my shoulders were clicking and didn't say they hurt but I did say I thought it was from the ulnar entrapment which he acted as though it's not possible to make trouble in that region,
Correct, olanzapine is an antipsychotic, although it is oftentimes used for non-psychotic reasons - as an adjunct for depression and anxiety treatment, or for sleep, for example.

Are your symptoms improving?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I haven't taken what he has given me yet since I only just received it. I am not suffering from bad excess saliva so much but that seems to come and go but the throat clicking is still there. I was pleased I told him the reason I didn't want to take anti's and told him as I did you that they cause side effects that turn out to be normal for doctors after a while if they don't go away, when they aren't normal. He said it was a fair point.
Glad he is at least open to what you have to say! Many times it is hard to find a doctor willing to hear you out, so this is a good sign he is listening to you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Since I can't really ask him about this now - Would you say to keep taking Ibuprofen for the ulnar entraptment causing heavy pain in my shoulders? He's got bored of my aches and pain talk I think :P I took 2 today - I usually lay off them though so I don't get addicted. Only when in pain as it says though.
Greetings,

We'll have to open a new thread soon - this one takes forever to scroll to the bottom of! *lol*

That being said, one really can't get addicted to ibuprofen, although it is possible to cause harm to the kidneys or stomach if taken at large doses for a long time.

Taking 800 mg every 8 hours for a few days, barring any medical reason not to, is very reasonable to do. It builds up a "steady state" of anti-inflammatory medication in the bloodstream, which helps with pain, too.

Regards,

Dr. Anderson
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm careful with when and how. I stop for a while then take some. Take a break from it then go again. And do on. :)
Good deal! Very wise. :)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Does trapped Ulnar Nerve actually always go away or can it stay and expect surgery to have it removed? I've it had for over 2 months. I guess I know to keep my arms straight now when before I didn't so I have to wait another 2 months lol
It can go away or get better with the right treatment - a combination of exercises (Google "Ulnar Nerve exercises"), splinting, and physical therapy. Some people also use scheduled doses of anti-inflammatory agents like Motrin, and in other cases injections with steroids (locally).
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've been doing the exercises from when you first said to :) also the Ibuprofen. I am just finding it hard to not have my fingers go numb when I wake up - I do keep my arms still and straight at night - but I don't know when i am asleep - I wake in the same position though! Thank you again :)
I'd also recommend using a brace, especially at night. Here is a link about them:

http://ulnarnerveentrapment.com/ulnar-nerve-entrapment-brace/

You are welcome! Happy to be of service.

Regards,

Dr. Anderson
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello :) I went and tried to get through to you on a new thread then some other doctors tried to answer my question, bah.
Stomach air pops are normal for saliva problems right? My stomach pops of air that goes down to my bottom to be let out by flatulence ( pardon the english lol ) when I sit down. I feel a pop and a rush of air feeling.

Greetings!

Yes, I did see that the new question you had was answered by some colleagues. They were partially correct - I answer in mental health, but I am also a medical doctor fully capable of answering non-mental health questions. That being said, when people have a lot of swallowing, it is very common for air to get to the stomach. And, what goes in must come out! Either above or below...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry I was a bit rude with the wording :) Yeah, being a doctor you can answer question on the body and the problems within. I didn't want to say otherwise so I just asked someone else. If it's possible to start a new thread I am happy to if nobody tries to answer it. My life has been so much more relaxing now i know what my problems are. I have you to thank for that and also my own my own research. I am a bit worried about telling my doctor I haven't taken any of the olanzapine. I read too much dread stories about it. I am not going through it even if it doesn't happen to me. Thank you for your help!
My pleasure! I am humbled to have been of service. :)

Regards,

Dr. Anderson
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am going to book an appointment with the chiropractor. Having a trapped nerve in neck can only get worse if not seen and first signs are warnings. I wish I knew how long it would last but from reading some people are relieved on first visit of entrapment and it only cost 19 pounds for first visit then 60 pounds after that. He should sort out my ulnar entrapment as part of that if it isn't connected to the ulnar problem.
True - and I'll have to look up the conversion rate for pounds to see how it compares to chiropractors here "across the pond." :)
Dr_Anderson, Doctor
Experience: Psychiatrist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ulnar has proved to be the culprit for so many problems - yesterday it tightened up my entire throat ( the muscles ) Which might mean it is to blame for most of my problems. The day before it tightened up the back of my neck - The shoulders were putting so much dead weight on them it felt like i was carrying a heavy rucksack. Will be 3 months come August 17th since you told me I had the problem so I hope it goes by that time. I start my physio therapy 31st of July. If not it'll probably be too late for surgery if my Doctors don't pay enough to attention to how serious it can be if not looked at.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I saw the Chiropractor, it appears the trapped nerve is in the spine near the neck and it is causing problems for shoulders and neck and arms - He said it would take up to 12 treatments to fix it and each person he has treated with it has been successful. Also said it's causing problems for my throat and every other symptom I had :) I think I'll be 100% and can thank you for everything come September! :)
Well, thank the Lord your suffering is about to its end - great news, indeed!

Regards,

Dr. Anderson
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Apologies for putting you hbrough all these questions and answers even when I have been wrong on my own opinions.
I owe you a debt!!

Thank you :)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Going to accept and wish you well for the future :)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
All done. Thank you! :)