MindMechanix
MindMechanix, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  LMSW, Psychotherapist, Family and Child Specialist, Play Therapist and Cognitive Behavioral Therapist

is there any over the counter anti depression tablets? Just

is there any over the counter anti depression tablets?
Just had a relationship break up and feeling rather glum. Don't like turning to alcohol and never been the depressed type. Don't feel i need to see a doctor but would like just something to help me through...
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  MindMechanix replied 2 years ago.

MindMechanix :

Good evening. I would like to try to help you.

MindMechanix :

I understand you would like to know if there is any depression medication available over the counter?

Customer :

Yes - just feeling glum and wanting to sleep alot

MindMechanix :

im sorry to hear that.

MindMechanix :

Unfortunately, I do not know of any over the counter (OTC) medicine for depression. They are controlled substances, as they are serious medications that have to be prescribed.

MindMechanix :

I have heard of herbal remedies, but they have not been studied by the FDA and are typically not recommended by healthcare professionals.

Customer :

No history in family of depression but relationship breakup after serval years is hard - any natural homopathics?

MindMechanix :

I am wondering, what have you tried so far to cheer yourself up and get by thusfar?

Customer :

nothing really - just my job is suffering alittle - just a small drink which a hate doing and strong coffees!

MindMechanix :

So after a breakup, it is natural to feel "the blues" as you have just lost something important. There are many reasons for a breakup and the effects can vary.

MindMechanix :

I have some questions for you just to get a better idea of where you are at currently.

MindMechanix :

Can you give me some details about your current life situation, the breakup, and you supports and meaningful activities?

MindMechanix :

And, for the record, I am glad to hear that you don't want to turn to alcohol/substances for relief. That is a very healthy choice.

Customer :

I would try anything even herbal - even if doesn't work!

MindMechanix :

ok- I can see your interested in quick relief right now. So first I will give you an idea of your options, as I know them, in regard to medication. Then I will give you a few options to help yourslef grieve the relationship and get back on your feet.

MindMechanix :

Please give me just a minute, I am still with you.

Customer :

i know i'll be able to pull through this - just wanting to know if anything available! I not the depressed type but been connected with someone for 2 years and finding it difficult to concentrate on just everyday life activities and get over it. A small drink helps so much at night but of course this is only temporary pain relief

MindMechanix :

Thats very true. First- here is information from The Mayo Clinic regarding natural suppliments. I DO NOT advocate for the use of these for treating you depression. But, as you are a customer seeking information, I believe I should provide you with whatever accurate information I can.

MindMechanix : Alternative medicine

By Mayo Clinic staff

You may be interested in trying to relieve depression symptoms with complementary or alternative medicine strategies. These include supplements and mind-body techniques. Make certain you understand risks as well as possible benefits before pursuing alternative therapy. Don't forgo conventional medical treatment or psychotherapy for alternative medicine. When it comes to depression, alternative treatments aren't a substitute for medical care.

Here are some common alternative treatments that are used for depression.

Herbal remedies and supplements
A number of herbal remedies and supplements have been used for depression. A few common ones include:

• St. John's wort. Known scientifically as Hypericum perforatum, this is an herb that's been used for centuries to treat a variety of ills, including depression. It's not approved by the FDA to treat depression in the United States. Rather, it's classified as a dietary supplement. However, it's a popular treatment in Europe for mild or moderate depression. But, it can interfere with other depression medicines, as well as some drugs used to treat people with heart disease, seizures, cancer and organ transplant.
  • SAMe. Pronounced "sammy," this is a synthetic form of a chemical that occurs naturally in the body. The name is short for S-adenosylmethionine. It's not approved by the FDA to treat depression in the United States. Rather, it's classified as a dietary supplement. Side effects are usually minimal, but SAMe can trigger mania in people with bipolar disorder.
  • Omega-3 fatty acids. Eating a diet rich in omega-3s or taking omega-3 supplements may help ease depression, especially when used in addition to standard depression treatments. These healthy fats are found in cold-water fish, flaxseed, flax oil, walnuts and some other foods.
  • Folate. Low levels of folate, a B vitamin, may cause a slowed response to some antidepressants. Taking folate supplements (folic acid) may be helpful when used in addition to antidepressants. Ask your doctor what amount is right for you.

Keep in mind that nutritional and dietary products aren't monitored by the FDA the same way medications are. You can't always be certain of what you're getting and if it's safe. Also, be aware that some herbal and dietary supplements can interfere with prescription medications or cause dangerous interactions. To be safe, talk to your doctors and other health care providers before taking any herbal or dietary supplements.

Mind-body connections
The connection between mind and body has been studied for centuries. Complementary and alternative medicine practitioners believe the mind and body must be in harmony for you to stay healthy.

Mind-body techniques that may be tried to ease depression symptoms include:

• Acupuncture
  • Yoga
  • Meditation
  • Guided imagery
  • Massage therapy

As with dietary supplements, take care in using these techniques. Although they may pose less of a risk, relying solely on these therapies is not enough to treat depression.

MindMechanix :

Feb. 10, 2012

© 1998-2012 Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research (MFMER). All rights reserved. A single copy of these materials may be reprinted for noncommercial personal use only. "Mayo," "Mayo Clinic," "MayoClinic.com," "EmbodyHealth," "Enhance your life," and the triple-shield Mayo Clinic logo are trademarks of Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research.

MindMechanix :

I believe that what you are feeling is a very normal reaction to your loss. It is important to feel these feelings and work through them, as it will ultimately provide you with closure. It is a process, and difficult at times. But by trying to have drinks and find herbal suppliments to come, it is covering up the feelings, and in essence, hiding from them.

MindMechanix :

If the depression becomes unmanageable, and medication is necessary, you can find a psychiatrist and a therapist through your insurance company and be evaluated for medication. You would be evaluated, prescribed a medication, and monitored by a medical expert. It is the safest bet.

MindMechanix :

In the meantime, I advise you to make sure you are taking care of yourself. Take nice hot baths or showers in the evening, get exercise, speak to family and friends and lean on your social network to help you talk things through and spend time enjoying yourself. Lastly, remind yourself that you are ok, you will get through this, and that you can handle it. Help is available if you need it. There are excellent deep breathing exercises for you as well to lower stress and anxiety including muscle relaxation as well. If you can afford it, a massage can be a great release.

Customer :

thank you for all this - the last thing i want is to be prescribed something. Just can't get myself motivated and think of anything else! finding it difficult to even talk about it!

MindMechanix :

I understand how you feel. Was this helpful?

Customer :

yes tks

Experience: LMSW, Psychotherapist, Family and Child Specialist, Play Therapist and Cognitive Behavioral Therapist