Karyn Jones
Karyn Jones, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Diploma of Counselling and Transactional Analysis Counselling, Lifeline counselling, Pastoral Care.

My son is 8 years old and talks incessively. He is inquisitive

My son is 8 years old and talks incessively. He is inquisitive and knowledgable about many topics; the problem is he is unable to listen because he can not stop talking. We (teachers, myself and his father) have to interrupt him to ask him to stop talking so we can give him instructions but most of the time he doesnt hear us asking him to stop. Even when he does stop talking it is only for less than a minute then he must say something. Please help us help him.

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Karyn Jones replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for bringing your concerns to Just Answer...and well imagine jus how frustrating and stressful this must be for you and all say the very least and feel for you all...
I have read your email very intently and a few concerns came up for me as to where this might be coming from and why your son may respond this way..
The first of these being that of a great inner need for him to prove himself to others who are prepared to listen to him...
The second being that this may way of communicating may also be coming from a nervous disposition he has..
and the next being that of a greater need by way of seeking ones sole or complete the exclusion of using his listening skills...
The above mind you wholely depends as to when he actually began to start communicating in this way what age...and how long this has been an issue..?
Other things to take into consideration would be does he have racing he able to express himself on paper the same way and does he have a creative outlet where he can draw his thoughts down on paper...?
I can't help suspecting that this is mainly driven by an inner sense that leans him to
that of a 'nervous dispositon', hence his inability to adhere to taking a breather and using his listening skills..

I think it would be very helpful if you take him along to a child pediatrican and discuss this with them in depth..They will look into this and will also need to explore his diet as it could have much to do with hyperactivity and or possibly even an overactive thyroid gland..This is not uncommon in children ( if this does prove to be the case) and today they can do much to improve this...

Either please make an appointment with a pediatrician and they will give him a series of tests and look into this further just to narrow it down or rule this out..

I truly do hope that this has given you other options in which to investigate further..
Take very good care now and I hope that it won't be too long before you have the answers...

Do forgive this late response as it has much to do with world time difference I'm afraid and when an expert in next available to help...
Please 'accept' this if it has indded helped to clarify as it also contribute much by way of keeping this valuable service going for you and others alike in the future..

Kind thoughts & very best wishes
Karyn J
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
He doesn't seem nervous at the dinner table or at night when we are trying to get him to sleep. He keeps his brother awake by talking to him and poking at him if he feels his brother is not listening. When he runs out of things to talk about he just makes noises or sings.
Hi there, and thank you for a little me this actually sounds like a deep seated inner nervous behaviour..and I would still have it investigated to be honest with you..
It makes me wonder what is it about silence or rest that he has trouble with..How busy are his thoughts or thinking patterns ..that won't switch off but are always insistent?..
Some sort of hyperactivity or inner sense that prevents him from switching his thoughts off when there is a need to...?
I would take him along to a pediatrician it would be well worth exploring further..
This is tied up with his great need to externalize his thoughts at the same speed and pace they enter his head..If you can determine where its coming from then that is the answer to his excessive communication..

Best wishes
Karyn J