Dr. G.
Dr. G., Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist.

My almost 5 year old daughter is a chronic whiner. Incessant,

My almost 5 year old daughter is a chronic whiner. Incessant, "it's not fair", "you never...", "she's not doing exactly as I want", "she has something I don't". What are effective ways to get her to be more positive adn less focused on everyone else? (and annoy me way less)
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 4 years ago.
I wonder if she feels like she does not have any power or say in the household. This would be the case if she hears the word "no" alot. If that is the case then give her choices. You can also have her do things for others and reward her for it. SO for example, have her do a chore, something for a sibling, or share something with a friend. When she does this then reward her with a treat, extra time up before going to bed, extra time to watch television, or whatever else you can think of. Ignoring is good but it does get tiresome. Punishing does not seem to work for some kids. So try the rewarding good behaviors and see if that works.
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 4 years ago.
One more thing, if she is getting punished for whatever reason, then she definitely needs to apologize and tell you why she was punished before she can get up from timeout. Then, she needs to make it up in some kind of way to make things right.