Dr. Bonnie
Dr. Bonnie, Psychologist and RN
Experience:  35 years experience counseling children and families

My 15 yr old son has recently been diagnosed with aspergers

My 15 yr old son has recently been diagnosed with aspergers and has lately been showing signs of possible schizophrenia. His father was a paranoid schizophrenic and I also have mental health problems. Is my son following in our footsteps? How can I help him?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Bonnie replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for consulting JA,

The diagnosis of Asperger Syndrome assumes that the child has no symptoms of Schizophrenia. If he is having visual or auditory hallucinations he might have Schizophrenia instead of asperger. Some of the behaviors can occur in both conditions...such as ...misperception of the motives of others. That makes diagnosis tricky.

To help him, he should be evaluated by a child psychiatrist to help define his diagnosis and prescribe medication if necessary.

I think I answered your question...any follow ups?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
He finds social situations very difficult and is presently sitting exams. He talks to himself aloud a lot - especially into a mirror. And he puts his face in my face often and has many of the mannerisms his father had. His father died 9 years ago and didn't live with us. How is he now becoming like his dad? Should I be worried?
I am wondering if his father may have been misdiagnosed. Maybe he also had Asperger Syndrome. It does tend to run in families. The behaviors you describe suggest AS rather than Schizophrenia. It is possible that Dad was misdiagnosed especially since your son has been diagnosed with AS. Years ago people with AS were often misdiagnosed.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Does schizophrenia run in families? Can we do anything to avoid it?
Yes, it too "runs in families" and is not preventable. But it is treatable...with medication and close following by the mental health professionals.