Jean
Jean, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Masters degree in counseling, Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW)

repressed memory?

I think a repressed memory from early childhood has just resurfaced. I feel really confused and don't know what to do. I'm remembering a man laying on a couch with me on top of him, rubbing me and grinding my body on his. I've always had this memory come in pieces, but it's really clear now. I've always thought it was a man of one of my mom's friends. During a casual conversation with my dad, he told me this man was just sentenced to prison for raping a 14 year old girl. How do I know if this memory is real, or if I'm fabriacting it because of what I've just been told? Do I tell my mom? Help.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Jean replied 2 years ago.
Hello this is Jean I can try and assist you. I would encourage you to tell your mother, and or speak to a therapist about what you are remembering. When you heard about the prison sentence it may have triggered more of your memories.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you think that the memory is real? I'm online reading all about false memory syndrome, and am worried that maybe it's not a real memory??? Can a visit to a phychologist clear this up?
Expert:  Jean replied 2 years ago.
This can be frightening to realize something like this and upsetting. Of course it's confusing. What a scary thing to realize what may have happened- especially hearing the man was sentenced to prison. It may confirm what you have been suspecting. With the support and guidance of a mental health therapist you can sort this out and try to put the pieces together. It seems that when one is "ready" more clear memories come to the surface. That you have had bits and peices of memory before, tells me something may have happened to you. If indeed you were sexually abused in some way it can explain what those bits and pieces you referred to relate to. Let me know if you have additional questions or if there is anything else I can assist you with. If this has been beneficial please click the green accept button in order for me to get credit for my time. You will get through this with the support of those who care about you. Jean
Jean, Psychotherapist
Experience: Masters degree in counseling, Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW)
Expert:  Jean replied 2 years ago.
I caution people to be careful what you read on line- there is so much information it can be overwhelming.
Expert:  Jean replied 2 years ago.
http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/2006/10.12/01-abuse.html You may find this article informative -a 2006 Harvard University Gazette article titled: Not Unusual to Forget Childhood Sexual Abuse by William J.Cromie
Expert:  Jean replied 2 years ago.
Hello Alise, How are things going for you? Please let me know if I can be of further assistance to you.