Bill
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience:  35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's
48585111

Hi Dr. Bill, Id like to thank you very much for your help.

Customer Question

Hi Dr. Bill,

I'd like to thank you very much for your help. I tried the Dexedrine, and it was a day-and-night difference. I'm actually shocked of how much I possibly missed before I know about this medication (or before I was diagnosed).

I went to my family doctor again and asked him about what you recommended me, the slow-release pills. He prescribed me the Dexedrine Spansule 15g and asked me to take it once every morning (instead of the 10g Dexedrine). I noticed when I take this Spansule, it is not acting the same as the previous 10g Dexedrine. Sometimes I don't feel a difference and sometimes I feel lazy to do things. Most of the times when there's a slight improvement, it diminishes after about 5-6 hours (I don't feel any effects of the pill afterward).

My doctor asked me keep the previous 10g Dexadrine pills he initially prescribed to me and in the cases when I have night classes (for example 6pm), he asked me to take one 10g Dexadrine in the morning (7am) and one before the class (5:30pm), instead of taking the Dexedrine Spansule once in the morning.

I'd like to get your opinion about the Dexadrine Spansule. Since the effects I get from this pill is not desirable (or not as effective as the initial prescription), should discontinue the Dexadrine Spansule 15g and go back to the Dexadrine 10g twice daily. Or should I consult with my doctor to try alternative options? My doctor already told me last time I saw him that I have the option of using Adderall, but I didn't feel comfortable using it. I feel more comfortable being on the Dexadrine.

Another question: on the days that I don't go to classes or do research (e.g. some weekends), should I stop taking the pills? The reason I'm asking is that I don't want to build dependency on this medication, or my body get used to it so I require higher dosage.

Please let me know what you think.

Once again, thanks alot.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  ReneeLPC replied 2 years ago.

RLiebowitz :

hi

Customer :

so my question was in reply to Dr. Bill. I wasn't sure how to direct the reply to him specifically

Customer :

Thank you for accepting to answer this question... but I was relating my question to things we discussed before. Do you think there's a way to direct my reply to him?

Expert:  Bill replied 2 years ago.
Hi- Nice to hear from you again-
What you relate is a dosage regulation issue that can be resolved with coordinating dosing with your Doctor.

Many people find that taking the Spansule in the morning with a
tab "booster " in the later part of the day will help and this again is something that you should address with your Doctor as getting the proper dosage and taking it at the times when need to sustain relief are essential.
Just give in some time and in collaboration with your Doctor you will find the fight balance for unique metabolism.
I hope you are well and processing on with your Doctoral studies.
All the best, Bill

Please Click Green Accept Button So That I Can Receive Credit For My Time

I Also Appreciate Your Positive Feedback

Have The Best Possible Day!