Doctor Rao
Doctor Rao, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,MD,DPM,MRCPsych

I started 5mg lexapro last tues, been on 8 days, and have persistent

I started 5mg lexapro last tues, been on 8 days, and have persistent nausea and losing weight. Will this go away soon? And is there anything I can take to lessen the effects?

Doctor Rao : Hi, These two are common side effects.Although nausea is more common

How long can I expect to have the nausea? It is really interfering with my life!

Doctor Rao : The usual period is between 10 to 14 days.However you have to appreciate this is based on my clinical experience with my patients than literature. From research point of view they would say the same but no exact time limit.
Doctor Rao : As far as I know apart from taking some antiemitics for symptomatic relief there is no much treatment required
Doctor Rao : Unfortunately we do not know who would get these side effects as there is no way you can determine the prone ness to these

So I guess I need to give it more time, I'm just afraid the nausea will not subside. I feel it is helping with the anxiety and I am able to sleep more, but I can't deal with the nausea.

Doctor Rao : Within my clinical experience patients who were persistent with medication, did not complain after.So, unless it is intolerable it might be helpful to continue especially when you are seeing clinical benefits

Ok, that gives me hope. I will wait it out. Thanks for your help!

Doctor Rao : In unforeseen circumstance if the symptoms persists then you can discuss the other options
Doctor Rao : I wish you all the best. I usually say this to my patients ..Antidepressants makes you worse before they makes you many ways it is true

Yes, you are right!