Ryan LCSW, Mental Health
Experience:  Individual and Family Therapist

hi i suffer from anxiety and ocd and recently when cleaning

hi i suffer from anxiety and ocd and recently when cleaning my daughter bum thought i had accidently touched her near her private parts , i then got anxious and pointed to the area i thought i may have accidently touched and just touched it to erase the anxiousness and prove i hadnt touched her anywhere weird. i then got more anxious as i then felt that this was a unnesscary and started thinking maybe i did something weird. i know i would never touch her in a sick way and know i havent done anything wrong but cant stop going over the situation in my head thinking what if it was a bit weird. can you tell me why i am so anxious even tho i havent done anything wrong and what would constitute a weird touch? i only touched near her privates not on them and would not have carried out the conpulsion if it meant touching her privates. can u help me and put my mind at rest ?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ryan LCSW replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd like to help you out.

If you already suffer from anxiety and OCD, that is likely where these compulsive thoughts are coming from. Often times people with OCD find that their thoughts can get fixated on a certain subject, even if it is completely irrational or you know that it doesn't make sense. In this case, it seems like you were simply trying to help your daughter and be a good parent. Since you know that you would never touch her in a way that would harm her, there doesn't seem to be anything to worry about about the actual incident that took place. However, for someone with OCD, it is very easy to create an anxiety provoking situation out of something innocent, and that seems like it is the case here. I have attached an article here that talks more about obsessive irrational thoughts and some ways for you to work on them.

Overall, it doesn't sound like you've done anything inappropriate with your daughter and it doesn't sound like you would ever do anything to harm your daughter. That seems to be the most important thing. However, you may want to look into some help for your anxiety and ocd. If you aren't already meeting with a therapist, that would likely be a big help in getting this problem under control. Usually what tends to happen is that when a person suffers from anxiety and ocd, once you get past this specific incident, the tendency will be to have a similar experience with another situation, and the cycle continues. By getting some proper help, you may be able to gain better control over these problems so that they don't continue to affect you like that.

I think you can put your mind at rest about this particular incident, but it is still important to address the larger issue at hand. I certainly wish you the best and hope that I've been able to answer your question. If there's anything else I can do to help just let me know.