Doctor Rao
Doctor Rao, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,MD,DPM,MRCPsych
67112189

My psychiatrist put me on Celexa and Abilify for Anxiety, Depresion,

Customer Question

My psychiatrist put me on Celexa and Abilify for Anxiety, Depresion, and Psychosis, but it doesn't seem to be working. I an now not getting any sleep at all and my anxiety is through the roof. She gave me some Ambien to try and sleep, and all I did was hallucinate and freak out. Still no sleep. I have no idea what psychosis is and I'm clueless to as why I am not getting better. My father has Schixophrenia and my mother is bi-polar. Am I schizophrenic too?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Doctor Rao replied 2 years ago.

Doctor Rao :

Hi, It must be difficult and stressful for you

Doctor Rao :

Can you tell me what are the doses of celexa and Abilify

Doctor Rao :

I will try to answer your question in two parts. First I would address the medication part and then i would try to talk about symptoms part. You mentioned you were on celexa and Abilify.As you rightly said these medication are helpful for Depression and Psychosis. These medications helpful. I just want to make sure you are taking Abilify in the morning as we do know in most of the patients it does effect sleep badly. Then coming to Zolpidem (Ambien) which was prescribed for sleep. It is helpful for insomnia in the short term but not helpful in the long term. In some people one of the side effect is hallucinations.The problem is it is not difficult to know who gets these side effects as there in no way of knowing in advance.So, your Doctor wouldn't know prior to prescription. Now coming to the symptoms there is a possibility that the hallucinations you mentioned were independent to Ambien and might be a part of the psychosis. If this is the case the Abilify dose needs to be reviewed following an appointment with your Psychiatrist. Now you mentioned that your father and mother has mental health problems. We do know that both the illness has Genetic component to the etiology but that is not enough as the causative factors for the illness is multifactorial. It would be difficult to say what type of illness you have as that needs face to face consultation,assessments,collateral history,examination and investigations. I am sure you agree that this is not a replacement for medical consultation. Finally,The possible plan of action for you could be if the hallucinations started after initiation of Ambien,then withhold the tablet,see how the symptom.However if you are having problems with sleep and if you are withholding Ambien you might want to discuss with your doctor alternatives available.Second,if the hallucinations persists you might need to discuss about possible increase dosage of Abilify,if not on maximum safe dose.If you are taking Abilify at night try to change it to morning. I hope you find my answer useful.I wish you all the best.Thank you

Customer :

2mg of abilify and 20mg of celexa

Doctor Rao :

Is it 20 mg Abilify?

Doctor Rao :

If it is 20 mg Abilify, if the symptoms persists you can discuss with your doctor about possibility of increasing.The usual recommended maximum dose is 30 mg/day