Dr_Anderson, Doctor
Experience:  Psychiatrist

What is stronger than Xanax for anxiety? Ive been on that

Customer Question

What is stronger than Xanax for anxiety? I've been on that before, colonzapam and I'm currently taking valium. Taking Prozac as well. I have been taking benzo's for almost 2 years straight now. My anxiety, panic attacks are at an all time high. I have been diagnosed with chronic-PTSD from multiple combat tours. I'm at the point where if my doctor can't give me something then I'll have to admit myself to an in-patient psychiatric ward. I have been on probably 8 different antidepressants and 3 different benzo's. Therapy on a weekly basis for almost 2 years, multiple in-patient stays. I'm on thin ice and I feel like adding a few bricks in my ruck sack to just fall to the bottom.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr_Anderson replied 4 years ago.

Dr_Anderson : Greetings, and thank you for your question! I'm sorry to hear that your anxiety is so rampant! I know you didn't specifically ask about the Prozac, but since you have been on benzos for so long, with needing to change them or finding they lose their effectivensss, I think it is reasonable to call into question how effective the Prozac is for you!
Dr_Anderson : On to your question at-hand, though, the strength of a medicine, or its potency, depends upon the medicine. The medications you listed are all pretty potent, except diazepam. One you did not list that is also potent and may be a reasonable option is lorazepam. It is not as fast-acting as Xanax, or long-acting as clonazepam, but it is a great melding of the two.
Dr_Anderson : Please let me know if you have any further questions - and please click on the accept button if this was useful! Regards, Dr. Anderson