Coach Jen K.
Coach Jen K., LMSW, CPC
Experience:  Licensed Master Social Worker. Certified Life Coach

Ive been feeling anxious and without an anchor and am feeling

I've been feeling anxious and without an anchor and am feeling very frightened. I do not know if I should go out and find a psychologist or not, or even if I am able to. There is no one that I feel I can talk to and I do not know the extent of poor mental health that you have to reach before seeking out a professional.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Coach Jen K. replied 2 years ago.

CoachJenK :

Hi. Welcome. I am a Licensed Master Social Worker with more than 20 years experience working with individuals and families on a variety of issues.

CoachJenK :

You are reaching out here ad that is a wonderful start.

CoachJenK :

I am glad you did.

CoachJenK :

has something recently happened that has caused this or are these feelings more long standing?

Customer:

They have been building over the years. I just feel like I am at a breaking point now, and that there isn't much for me to do.

CoachJenK :

when things build up and go unresolved you can absolutely feel like you are at your breaking point.

CoachJenK :

I agree that it is time to make an appointment for face to face support.

CoachJenK :

I absolutely understand how scary that can be but there are wonderful therapists out there who will help you to feel safe to open up

Customer:

I am not sure how to bring it up to my family though. I wouldn't know how to approach the subject but I would have to to discuss insurance.

Customer:

I don't know what they would think of me if they thought that I was overreacting.

CoachJenK :

do they know you are suffering? These are your feelings and it does not sound like overreacting....you dont feel they would be supportive?

Customer:

I have discussed things with them when I was in my teens, but they blew me off even though my mother had to go to therapy herself for bipolarism. I think that they might do the same thing again.

CoachJenK :

I am sorry to hear that but right ow you are no longer a teenager ad you need this support and deserve to feel better.

CoachJenK :

you get to decide to go for help

CoachJenK :

but lets remove the family for now. do you think even though it might be hard to talk to someone that you need the support?

Customer:

Not from my parents any longer, but from my husband I would need support. I wouldn't be able to do it alone, it would be too difficult.

CoachJenK :

ok so lets talk then about how you can advocate for that support from him

Customer:

I could maybe ask him, or talk to him. I think that it would be easier to gain his support because he has been around to see my struggle the last few years.

CoachJenK :

I think that is the way to go.

Customer:

I guess it wouldn't be out of the question to have him with me when I talk to the rest of my family then?

CoachJenK :

you shouldnt struggle and so I would suggest that we start there

CoachJenK :

not at all but as you say you dont eed their permission do you?n

Customer:

no, I guess I don't any more

CoachJenK :

that right it is about you now and what you need and that is what is most crucial

CoachJenK :

it is always nice to get the support but it should not prevent you from moving forward on this.

CoachJenK :

you shouldnt feel anxious and without an anchor

CoachJenK :

and that description suggests depression

Customer:

is there any way to seek a professional for general mental health issues or would you have to be specific?

Customer:

*when seeking one

CoachJenK :

of course you can

CoachJenK :

where are you located? I can try and help you find someone and then you can call and ask about insurnace

Customer:

in duluth ga

CoachJenK :

would you like me to look?

Customer:

that would be helpful, yes

CoachJenK :

and do you have a preference for a man or a woman?

CoachJenK :

http://www.innerfokus.com/

Customer:

maybe not a woman, it would make me think of my mother too much and that my relationship with her is a large part in this. i don't think i would be able to talk to a woman psychologist comfortably

CoachJenK :

ok then scratch the one above

Customer:

alright

CoachJenK :

this guy looks nice. http://www.movingwaterscounseling.com/

Customer:

I will look at it then

Customer:

oh, he is in duluth minnesota

CoachJenK :

ok great. please know you deserve that space to explore it all and get anchored. oh crud howd that happen? give me a second. so sorry

Customer:

that is alright

Customer:

there are a lot of duluths

CoachJenK :

oy

CoachJenK :

two men here: http://www.gracepointcounseling.com/

CoachJenK :

and you can always do a search yourself by going to www.psychologytoday.com and putting in your zip code

Customer:

alright, I will try that

CoachJenK :

please know that you matter and it is okay to seek it out

Customer:

okay, i will try to remember that

CoachJenK :

you can come to me anytime you need some support along the way.

CoachJenK :

I truly beleive you can feel better with some excellent support

Customer:

how would I be able to contact you again if I had the need to?

CoachJenK :

when you start a new question...write for CoachJenK only and it will come to me

Customer:

alright, i'll write it down

CoachJenK :

perfect. I am an anchor for you here.

Customer:

thank you

CoachJenK :

my pleasure.

Customer:

I should go now and work on getting information about people in the area, I think I am going to talk to my husband tonight

CoachJenK :

ok great. come back anytime and please click accept if I have been helpful

CoachJenK :

proud of you!

Customer:

thank you

Coach Jen K., LMSW, CPC
Experience: Licensed Master Social Worker. Certified Life Coach