TherapistJen
TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker.
64783947

Ive been feeling anxious and without an anchor and am feeling

I've been feeling anxious and without an anchor and am feeling very frightened. I do not know if I should go out and find a psychologist or not, or even if I am able to. There is no one that I feel I can talk to and I do not know the extent of poor mental health that you have to reach before seeking out a professional.

CoachJenK :

Hi. Welcome. I am a Licensed Master Social Worker with more than 20 years experience working with individuals and families on a variety of issues.

CoachJenK :

You are reaching out here ad that is a wonderful start.

CoachJenK :

I am glad you did.

CoachJenK :

has something recently happened that has caused this or are these feelings more long standing?

Customer:

They have been building over the years. I just feel like I am at a breaking point now, and that there isn't much for me to do.

CoachJenK :

when things build up and go unresolved you can absolutely feel like you are at your breaking point.

CoachJenK :

I agree that it is time to make an appointment for face to face support.

CoachJenK :

I absolutely understand how scary that can be but there are wonderful therapists out there who will help you to feel safe to open up

Customer:

I am not sure how to bring it up to my family though. I wouldn't know how to approach the subject but I would have to to discuss insurance.

Customer:

I don't know what they would think of me if they thought that I was overreacting.

CoachJenK :

do they know you are suffering? These are your feelings and it does not sound like overreacting....you dont feel they would be supportive?

Customer:

I have discussed things with them when I was in my teens, but they blew me off even though my mother had to go to therapy herself for bipolarism. I think that they might do the same thing again.

CoachJenK :

I am sorry to hear that but right ow you are no longer a teenager ad you need this support and deserve to feel better.

CoachJenK :

you get to decide to go for help

CoachJenK :

but lets remove the family for now. do you think even though it might be hard to talk to someone that you need the support?

Customer:

Not from my parents any longer, but from my husband I would need support. I wouldn't be able to do it alone, it would be too difficult.

CoachJenK :

ok so lets talk then about how you can advocate for that support from him

Customer:

I could maybe ask him, or talk to him. I think that it would be easier to gain his support because he has been around to see my struggle the last few years.

CoachJenK :

I think that is the way to go.

Customer:

I guess it wouldn't be out of the question to have him with me when I talk to the rest of my family then?

CoachJenK :

you shouldnt struggle and so I would suggest that we start there

CoachJenK :

not at all but as you say you dont eed their permission do you?n

Customer:

no, I guess I don't any more

CoachJenK :

that right it is about you now and what you need and that is what is most crucial

CoachJenK :

it is always nice to get the support but it should not prevent you from moving forward on this.

CoachJenK :

you shouldnt feel anxious and without an anchor

CoachJenK :

and that description suggests depression

Customer:

is there any way to seek a professional for general mental health issues or would you have to be specific?

Customer:

*when seeking one

CoachJenK :

of course you can

CoachJenK :

where are you located? I can try and help you find someone and then you can call and ask about insurnace

Customer:

in duluth ga

CoachJenK :

would you like me to look?

Customer:

that would be helpful, yes

CoachJenK :

and do you have a preference for a man or a woman?

CoachJenK :

http://www.innerfokus.com/

Customer:

maybe not a woman, it would make me think of my mother too much and that my relationship with her is a large part in this. i don't think i would be able to talk to a woman psychologist comfortably

CoachJenK :

ok then scratch the one above

Customer:

alright

CoachJenK :

this guy looks nice. http://www.movingwaterscounseling.com/

Customer:

I will look at it then

Customer:

oh, he is in duluth minnesota

CoachJenK :

ok great. please know you deserve that space to explore it all and get anchored. oh crud howd that happen? give me a second. so sorry

Customer:

that is alright

Customer:

there are a lot of duluths

CoachJenK :

oy

CoachJenK :

two men here: http://www.gracepointcounseling.com/

CoachJenK :

and you can always do a search yourself by going to www.psychologytoday.com and putting in your zip code

Customer:

alright, I will try that

CoachJenK :

please know that you matter and it is okay to seek it out

Customer:

okay, i will try to remember that

CoachJenK :

you can come to me anytime you need some support along the way.

CoachJenK :

I truly beleive you can feel better with some excellent support

Customer:

how would I be able to contact you again if I had the need to?

CoachJenK :

when you start a new question...write for CoachJenK only and it will come to me

Customer:

alright, i'll write it down

CoachJenK :

perfect. I am an anchor for you here.

Customer:

thank you

CoachJenK :

my pleasure.

Customer:

I should go now and work on getting information about people in the area, I think I am going to talk to my husband tonight

CoachJenK :

ok great. come back anytime and please click accept if I have been helpful

CoachJenK :

proud of you!

Customer:

thank you