Doctor Rao
Doctor Rao, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,MD,DPM,MRCPsych
67112189

ra-ke

Customer Question

My son hits his mom and I and calls names. It is a big fight to get him into bed. He does great at school. We have a structured routine, with bed time being the same time. Would you recommend a rewards program to prevent him from hitting? (i.e: he gets a star every day for not hitting and then is able to get an award for a certain number of stars.)
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Doctor Rao replied 2 years ago.

Doctor Rao : Hi It is helpful Corbin to have a reward scheme but we need to look in to other hints as well
Doctor Rao : How old is he?
Customer :

He is 7. Also, he is diagnosed as autism spectrum disorder and is on intuniv.

Doctor Rao :

ok. We do know the children with autistic spectrum disorder do have rigid thinking

Doctor Rao :

Some children respond with anger because they feel helpless. To understand why one child becomes more angry than other children takes some time and effort. What triggered the outburst? The thing to realize is that our anger is generally a reaction to frustration. In children, however, anger appears to be a more generic emotion.

Doctor Rao :

The good news is he is doing great at school.So, hopefully with some behavioral modification and understanding the reasons things might improve

Customer :

He constantly gets angry and hits every night. There doesn't seem to be one specific things. I feel we've tried different things and nothing seems to work. We try to take him to his room for time out, but he won't go.

Customer :

What do you recommend as modification?

Doctor Rao :

Ok.Does the anger directed particularly to mum?

Customer :

Both of us. But he gets a little angrier at mom.

Doctor Rao :

One thing most often helpful is first to look for the pattern. I find looking with ABC pattern is very helpful.By this I mean, A-Antecedent,B-Behavior, C- consequence. In your sons case we know the behaviour.We need to look for A and C

Doctor Rao :

Do you see any particular patterns..It might useful for you to keep a diary quietly with this ABC chart for at least 4 to 5 days, which should include one weekend