Dr_Anderson, Doctor
Experience:  Psychiatrist

Hi. Thank you for answering a previous question so well which

Hi. Thank you for answering a previous question so well which is why i've sought you out especially to answer my next one. On Friday I am attending a care plan meeting with psych, me, cpn, social worker etc. This is following an email i sent to my social worker. If it would help i would fwd the email ontoance you. However,my question right now regards XXXXX XXXXX i should present at the meeting. I have been so depressed (I'm bipolar by the way) ive run out of room to write. Any chance we could chat?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Howard Wise replied 4 years ago.
It's not clear who your question is addressed to. I suggest that you submit it again, as a new question, and write the name of the expert who helped you last time at the beginning of the question.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
PLEASE WILL SOMEONE HELP ME DO WHAT'S BEST I am looking for a response to see how i should present myself at forthcoming care plan review (1st ive ever had and i was diagnosed bipolar at 19, I'm 34 now!!) Anyway, i have been so depressed this year that for over 2 months i have lived and slept in the same clothes,not even washing my face. The fleece i'm wearing is covered in stains. I've basically stopped functioning. Some days it gets to 9pm and i think "have i eaten today???" and the answer is no. Back to the question, do i go to this meeting as i am which is a true reflection of my capability and state of mind or would they think i was pretending and had come that way to get some kind of reponse from them - eg attention seeking, or do i at least change my top so it doesnt have stains etc
Expert:  Dr_Anderson replied 4 years ago.
Greetings! Do you still need an answer to this question? I see you opted out, but I wanted to verify.

Dr. Anderson
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi,no i would so much appreciate your answer. If one of your patients walked into a group meeting clearly looking like she wasnt taking care of herslf would you think they were doing it to get some kind of reaction, attention seeking etc or would you just see a young lady who needed a lot more support than you realised
Greetings, and thank you for the question.

I'd have to say that depends upon the patient! I like to think I know my patients well enough that I'd be able to tell someone doing that for "show" and someone doing it because they feel miserable and don't have the energy to do otherwise.

Looking at how you have struggled, anyone who knows you will be able to parse out very quickly that you do not feel well - whether you show up disheveled or pristine! Of course, making the effort to look well, showering, cleaning your clothes, combing your hair, etc. is all part of "practicing for being well." What this means is that when a person feels ok, they do all of that naturally, no second thought. But when depression hits (be it unipolar or bipolar, either way depression is still rotten), all of that tends to fall by the wayside. So, practicing wellness means doing those things, even if you don't feel like it.

All this being said, if you show up to the meeting as you described in the first part of your paragraph, I'd personally be very worried for you and apt to be more assertive in getting treatment for you, or at least in strongly encouraging you to get treatment.

In the end - be yourself. Don't put on airs for anyone. And trust that the people in the room are seeking your well-being, that they have your best interests at heart.

I am sorry you feel so poorly, but I hope this helps! Please let me know if I may be of further service.

Dr. Anderson
Dr_Anderson, Doctor
Experience: Psychiatrist